Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1365997 08/21/05 12:51 AM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hi, I'm having trouble starting my car on mornings, it makes a whinning noise that fits the "death whine" description, the weird part is that it only makes the sound during the first crank of the day (it always cranks, so I think there is no teeth damaged yet), afeterwards it turns over without problems, I was reading on the archive and thought maybe the problem is the starter solenoid?

Due to the fact that the problem is only present during the very first daily crank, and never during the subsequent crankings, could the solenoid be sticking or something?

Can I just replace the solenoid in case it's busted?

Thanks!!

#1365998 08/21/05 01:39 AM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
OK, I found more posts on the archive, seems to really be a pain in the %&%$#% to remove the starter... I still have some questions:

when exactly is the starter solenoid supposed to click? (is it when the key is turned to the on position just before cranking it?)

if I manage to get the starter out, how can I know if the starter is bad? (I know I'll have to test the unit connecting the small and big leads, but will I know if the teeth are broken or grinded on the starter or on the flywheel?)

Thanks!

#1365999 08/21/05 01:44 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
removing the starter isn't THAT hard.

removal of the battery will almost certainly be required.
removal of the intake setup provides much more room (99% needed)

Once removed, you can visually inspect the starter and flywheel (spinning the flywheel by hand/tool to inspect all of the teeth)

The bendix in the starter may be the problem, as well.
If it won't start, and just spins, try placing the car in gear (MTX) and rocking the car back and forth from catch to catch (where the gear stops the car from rolling) and then start the car. this resettles the teeth together, and will at least get you going.

replacement of the starter before the flywheel becomes damaged would be adviseable.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1366000 08/21/05 01:52 AM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Thanks for the quick response Ray, the car starts every single time, but especially the first crank of the day I hear a whinning noise AFTER the motor starts runing... I just remembered that... it's like the starter gets stuck in there...

I'll pay attention tomorow and try to confirm this... but now I come to think of it, im almost sure this is the case, the whinning comes after, not before, the motor has cranked.... and just to clarify, I do not keep the keys in the crank position too much time, I always disengage it as soon as the motor starts and then the sound comes... this is strange... kinda like when you hit the starter when the car is already running...

If this is the case (if it's even possible that the starter isn't retracting immediatly after cranking the motor, staying there a second or two) will it gring or damage the teeth? it doesn't sound like it is skiping teeth or anything like that...

#1366001 08/21/05 02:17 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Once you get the starter out, take it to your local Autozone or auto parts store. They can usually bench test it.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
#1366002 08/21/05 03:13 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
that noise sounds like the engine over-revving the starter.. wouldn't FORSEE it damaging the flywheel, unless they were misaligned, or binding.. (bendix going out, etc)

as long as the starter was in good working order, and aligned, it would simply over-burn the starter, and "whine"

Of course... IMHO.

Ray

#1366003 08/21/05 03:18 AM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Thanks again Ray, I think you might be right, well, I hope so... I will remove it and inspect it...

Just courious, If I crank the starter with the engine already running, would I hear this very same sound or would it cause it to grind and possibly get damaged? I would like to try it just to corroborate our little theory, but I'll better be sure I won't breake or worsen anything, what do you think?

Thanks again!

#1366004 08/21/05 03:25 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
TECHNICALLY... it damages it every time you hear that sound.. (though would damage the starter, I would think.. and not the flywheel)

starting after running, or "sticking" as you call it is the same end result.

The debateable part would be whether or not it damages the flywheel, at all..

again, unless it were misaligned, I wouldn't THINK so... someone else will chime in with some opinion, or experience with this.

Ray

#1366005 08/21/05 07:11 PM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Well, I listened carefully this morning and I think the sound may be present from the moment I crank it, it still starts every time, and very fast, it never takes more than a second... this is weird...

#1366006 08/21/05 08:28 PM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by JyYyM:
Well, I listened carefully this morning and I think the sound may be present from the moment I crank it, it still starts every time, and very fast, it never takes more than a second... this is weird...

I had a starter "scratching" on my 92 Suburban...It started just fine, up to the day I replaced it...I didn't want it to leave us stranded somewhere, that's the only reason I changed it...

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard