CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:
Here you go.

1S7Z-7M101-KA List $28.64 CEG $21.48
$4.50 for S&H gets it next day air.

How hard is it to change this part ?
Is it a couple of screws/bolts or is there other things that need to be done ?

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by microtonal:
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:
Here you go.

1S7Z-7M101-KA List $28.64 CEG $21.48
$4.50 for S&H gets it next day air.

How hard is it to change this part ?
Is it a couple of screws/bolts or is there other things that need to be done ?

1) Depends on whether it breaks?

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=eca&Number=331844&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

2) One bolt.

From 96 Ford CD
The turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor is located on the LH side of the transaxle on the exterior of the pump assembly.

Removal

1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Place a drain pan beneath the TSS.
3. Disconnect the electrical connector.
4. Remove the bolt.
5. Remove the TSS from the transaxle.
6. Inspect the O-ring for nicks or cuts; replace if necessary.

Installation

1. Install a new O-ring if necessary. Apply a light coat of petroleum jelly to the O-ring.
2. Install the TSS into its bore in the pump assembly.
3. Install the retaining bolt and tighten to 12-14 N-m (107-123 lb-in).
4. Connect the TSS electrical connector.
5. Remove the drain pan and any obstructions. Lower the vehicle.
6. Check the transmission fluid level, add fluid as necessary.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Cool.
Thanks for the details.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I got my TSS Friday and WAS going to replace it today (Sat.) but it does not want to leave the tranny. I used the link to the FWD Cougar website and it is said that it is a 10 to 15 minute job. NOT. It states you need a pair of locking pliers (i.e. visegrips) and to lock on and twist as you are pulling it out. I can't seem to get a grip on the old TSS and I am afraid to try real hard, because I am afraid it will break; being plastic with a metal bracket. Unless I am suppose to kinda crush the old TSS to get the right grip. Is there any other tool that might work??

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Did you try b'laster penetrating oil? It is probably rusted in. A ring of rust forms against the o-ring, it probably will not come out in one piece. You will be able to rotate the TSS in the hole after blastering it. It will break, I had to drill a hole in the center of the tss, put a screw in it and pull with a hammer claw, repeat until it comes loose, after pulling copper windings, etc. The magnet is very hard to drill through! Then I had to use a hook to pull the loose piece out that wanted to fall inside the trans...I would try something else, like changing the transaxle fluid, first. That helped me more than the TSS did. The old fluid gets grabby. Maybe a shop could do both the TSS and the trans flush. I used Mobil 1 ATF, it should last.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Pepse:
I got my TSS Friday and WAS going to replace it today (Sat.) but it does not want to leave the tranny. I used the link to the FWD Cougar website and it is said that it is a 10 to 15 minute job. NOT. It states you need a pair of locking pliers (i.e. visegrips) and to lock on and twist as you are pulling it out. I can't seem to get a grip on the old TSS and I am afraid to try real hard, because I am afraid it will break; being plastic with a metal bracket. Unless I am suppose to kinda crush the old TSS to get the right grip. Is there any other tool that might work??

Later. Pepse.

Look up my old post in the transaxle forum. search on subject: TSS from hell

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Well, I definately know "I'm not alone". So, I think Monday I'll work with it a little more and then if it seems no diff than yesterday (Sat.), then I'll take it in and have the fluid and filter changed and have him put in the new TSS. Altho I said that the fluid looks and smells fine I think it would be worth changing since I have no idea when it might have been changed, if at all. Ford recommends every 30K and the car has 95K.

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Pepse:
in and have the fluid and filter changed and have him put in the new TSS. Altho I said that the fluid looks and smells fine I think it would be worth changing since I have no idea when it might have been changed, if at all. Ford recommends every 30K and the car has 95K.

Later. Pepse.

ATX filter can't be changed unless you open up the tranny (very expensive). Change the ATF yourself. We have a how-to. Then if it does not help, change the TSS.

Edit. Maintenance how-tos.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=958650&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/05/05 01:52 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
My trans fluid (50 kmiles) looked and smelled OK, too. But it still worked better with new fluid. The auto trans is "particular" I guess.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Here's a pic of the new replacement part.
Ford PN# 1S7Z-7M101-KA
Turbine Shaft Speed sensor

It comes with a new bolt because the mounting tab is thicker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard