Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is common for 98 Contours to have a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. It is a 2.5L Duratec V6 automatic. I was at the dealer and he said this...am I being taken? I bought the car a month ago and have a 1 year powertrain warranty. I did a search but I didn't find anything, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks in advance
Atlanticghost.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
yeah, when you search, you have to click the option to search all posts.. Not just in the last week, and you need to search the part of the forum in relation to your problem... EG, Hard shift... Transaxel forum... But we can still help you here....

YOU have the common problem known as the 1st to 2nd gear "BANG!" shift... NASTY feeling. But never fear, its a simple solution. You need to get the revised Shift sensor (TSS) avliable from ford... part number 1S7Z7M101KA If this doesnt solve your problem you may need to replace a trannie mount or two. But thats doubtable... Mounts RARELY ever go bad.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Thanks for the headsup, I'll call the dealer on Monday, and thanks for the search lesson too.
Atlanticghost.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If you are going through a dealer, and can wait.. go through Bill Jenkins, of Team Ford (Las Vegas) or Steve at Tousley Ford in Minnesota.

both give WONDERFUL discounts for being members of CEG, etc. (30-60%!!!!)

Look in the Duratec maintenance forum, in the duratec maintenance faq for both of their numbers.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I did a search on the Motorcraft website and the 1S7Z7M101KA part number doesn't come up as valid.

Also, do you know how much this part costs ?

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
If I go to the dealer and ask for the part, do I ask for the
transmission shift sensor or is there a different technical term ?

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
turbine speed sensor, maybe?

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Here you go.

1S7Z-7M101-KA List $28.64 CEG $21.48
$4.50 for S&H gets it next day air.

Bill Jenkins Team Ford, Internet Parts Dept. 5445 Drexel Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89130 CLICK HERE to order parts Ford parts at wholesale prices
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Yes, that is a common problem. I changed my TSS, the above is the right part number. Very slight improvement, although I have more of an "abrupt" not "bang" 1-2 shift sometimes when cold, starting out. Change the trans fluid (unless it's new). I am about to change my trans fluid to Mobil 1 Friday, and will post my results in the transaxle forum, I hope it helps.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
OK folks, I have a similar prob with my '95 Mystique with same motor and tranny, BUT, since it has cooled off outside I also have the "bang" shifting into drive or "1" when the car has sat for about 4 or more hours. If I let it warm up for about 5+ minutes it ain't as bad. Is this still the TSS sensor or ...........?? Car has 94K, tranny fluid looks nice and pinkish-red, does not smell burnt either. Opines?

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard