Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
??

1998 Silver Frost LX C-27 Kit, 19x7.5 42 offset Gunmetal rims, 20% tint, engine mods to come shortly... "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I thought it was 3 months...

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Manufactuers reccommendations VARY. Most though it is 60-90 days. I would check with them. Be careful when using the car wash as well.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I was sideswiped and my body shop who specializes in luxury cars. I cheated cause iI wanted it done right. I asked them and how long to wait till it could be waxed and not damage the paint they said, "With today's paints, do it tomorrow." I did just that and it looks absolutely great.

I believe body shops now use polyester paints. OSHA does not like either lacquer or enamels. The reason is the solvents and paint thinners are both bad ergonomically..

While working as a Mech. Engr. (I am now retired). The products I designed/engineered that needed to have a finish color coat, the only option I had was Powder Coat or Polyester pains. The paint shops had absolutely no facilities for either lacquer or enamel available.

Blevans

Col. Bill Evans CAF (ret) 98 Contour GL Zetec ATX (totally stock) Color-Willow Mist 104,XXX Miles
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Paints made today are URETHANE not Polyester(Bondo is made out of polyester). Waxing your car the day after is a VERY quick way to scratch your cars finish to death. Most clearcoats cure within 7 days of finish. They need about a month or two to harden before you wax. I have seen people leave fingerprints in thier topcoat a week after it was painted.(House of Kolor) Glad to hear your car came out ok after you waxed it, but you really should have waited. I wouldn't be suprised to find out that your car was full of swirl marks in a few months.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Laquer and enamel based paints are still used today all the time. They are not as widely used due to thier lack of color and design choices (metallics, flip/flops, pearls etc.). They are still used due to people restoring older cars and wanting a correct finish. Enamel paints are used in industrial applications EVERY DAY. (Tractors, Dozers, Dumptrucks, Industrial Racking and Machine Coverings). Solvents and thinners are used to thin paint and clean painting equipment just like they were 40 years ago. When we spray a truck frame with chassis paint, we use tractor enamel due to it's extreme durability.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
henry get ahold of me, i have some ?'s on wetsanding and clearcoats..thanks

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Thank you for the insight. It's been 1 month so far, so I guess I'll wait one more ... BTW it is a single stage intergrated clear finish. Is there any difference with that in waxing?

1998 Silver Frost LX C-27 Kit, 19x7.5 42 offset Gunmetal rims, 20% tint, engine mods to come shortly... "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I got repainted this summer by a very good local shop. They said to not wax for 90 days. I think thats a little bit long, but they have a lifetime warrenty against fading or something on the paint, so I'll do it their way.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
The last time I had any paint work done on a car (which was a long time ago) they told me to wait 6-8 weeks before waxing.

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard