Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
I heart you...

I've got to do this same thing on mondayish and this is definately gonna make it easier, thanks!

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
yeah me too, stupid o2's, got to replace them .

1998 Ford Contour Se 2.5 litre Silver frost
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
replacing all of my 02 sensors was a SOB in the worst way. Good luck to u guys......PS: it helps if you have small fingers.

98 CSVT #4214/6535 Mods: N/A and modded out
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
yeah this how to makes it look easy, another required tool would be a midget w/ very small hands, such a pita, I also had to take off my motor mounts to get my hand down there and jack the motor up, but good luck to anyone who tries

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Funny, when I did mine 2 weekends ago, I was able to get the O2 socket on the rear upstream and get it off by just taking the coil pack off....and I have fairly big hands. It was a PITA, but not as bad as I thought. The hardest part was getting it tight enough.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Just finished mine. I couldn't even get the O2 sensor socket in there. I tried switching to a crow's foot wrench. no luck there either. I finally got the sensor loose after a couple of hours.

Then, inspiration struck: I have a neighbour who works on cars. He is Vietnamese. His hands are small. 30 minutes later, I am firing up the car!

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Ugh, I gotta do this soon. Ive been putting it off since I can clear the light with the Xcal, but enough is enough. Gotta sack up.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Finally changed out my 02 yesterday. This is a great method for doing so, but I must say one thing: You must have some real tiny hands to fit past that wiring harness!!! I could barely get my hand half way past it (while really pushing it out of the way). Painful, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Got my hand far enough in to hand tighten the O2, which was a huge help. If you cant get your hand on it, it would take a while.

Total time: 1 hour. Not too bad at all.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
I used the o2 sensor socket to remove the old sensor using the above method. One note on that, my socket had a 1" fitting not 7/8". Also, If you use a bosch replacement part, your o2 sensor socket probably won't work for the reinstall.

Because the bosch's "stem" is much thicker than the motorcraft's, you can't angle the socket on as much. The socket is just too long, the brake lines get in the way. I had to slip a regular 7/8" wrench horizontally on the sensor, mate it vertically with the open end of a long wrench, and tap on the top of the long wrench. Kinda rigged, but it worked. No clue how I'm going to get it off if it fails again.

So to sum it up, ymmv depending on your socket. Better idea is just to buy the motorcraft part in advance.

E0 SVT, lightly modded
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard