Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Expanded upon from the original how-to, including pictures to follow along with the directions
(Original how-to located at: O2 How-to)

This is a How-to for replacing the Oxygen sensor (O2S) for the upstream bank number 1 (position 1). This applies to all Duratec 2.5 V6 vehicles. The location of this particular sensor is below a wiring harness below the coil pack. With the coil pack removed and the wiring harness out of the way, you can see this sensor on the exhaust manifold on the firewall side. You WILL be able to utilize a 02 socket for this job. This job took about an hour.

Bosch replacement part # 13115 (part # good as of 11-11-03)
Or you can order Motorcraft from Ford

Tools Needed:
1) 7mm Socket and 3/8� ratchet
2) 8mm Deep Well Socket
3) 22mm Long Handled Wrench (or equivalent as per job) or 7/8 Wrench
4) O2 Sensor Removal Socket (Lisle PN# 12100 approx. $10 Sears or PepBoys)
5) Back-up curse words for the Furd engine design team.

This replacement is moderately easy with some patience and skinny arms/hands. There isnâ??t much room to work and not much room to maneuver the wiring harness out of the way, but just enough to make this possible.

1) Remove spark plug wires (taking note of their original orientation or firing order).

2) Remove coil pack and this connector coming up from the wiring harness (four bolts) (also take note of the two ground wires connected to the front two bolts)

3) With the spark plug wires off, and coil pack removed, you can see a black molded wiring harness secured by two nuts. Remove these two nuts, and wiggle the wiring harness out of the way. (This harness will not move too far, but enough to maneuver your hands in there).

4) From here you can see the 02 sensor below the harness. Unplug the connector for the 02 at the top of the harness. You can also unclip the O2 sensor mating end from the harness by pressing down on the locking clip just under the connector.

5) Place O2 Socket over O2 sensor then wiggle harness towards firewall

6) Using the 22mm wrench loosen and remove the 02 sensor and replace. (Similar to the pictures below). Since the harness is now closer to the firewall, you can insert the wrench between the harness and the engine.

7) After tightening sensor and connecting to the wiring harness; place the harness back to original position and tighten nuts. (Just a suggestion while having the coil pack removed, itâ??s not a bad idea to clean the coil pack and plug wires before putting everything back toghter).

8)Clear Codes/Reset PCM by removing Fuses 4 and 11 for 10 minutes.

Some CEL codes that may give you the impression that this particular sensor needs to be replaced:
P0133-â??Heated upstream 02 sensor circuit slow response (bank 1)â?
P0171-â??â?System too Leanâ? (bank 1)
P0172-�System to Rich� (bank 1)
P1131-â??Lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch-Sensor indicates Lean (bank 1)â?
P1132-â??Lack of upstream heated oxygen sensor switch- Sensor indicates Rich (bank 1)â?
**Would like to thank â??Williamâ? and â??annakobyâ? for past threads that made some of this information possible, written by â??mycainsbrokenâ?**

**Pictures and Updates by Crystian C. (Golden Tour) 8/11/05**

Last edited by Ray; 08/12/05 06:01 PM.

~Crystian 2000 Se sport 2001 Lightning(Sorry!your mom cant come with us)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Thank you Crystian.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
That is the best "How To" yet for anything. Honestly. Now if my O2 has a [censored] break, I'll be thanking you.

98 T-Red CSVT
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is only one thing wrong with the pictures.

Why are you teasing us with a slight glimpse of a Corvair Monza Spyder? Where is the picture of the whole car?

I haven't seen one of those things in years.

That is where high performance "turbo" mufflers came from. It was also the first "high performance" hydraulic lifter cam. There is some automotive history there. Anybody remember "Unsafe At Any Speed"?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
ahh, the spyder, i would be ashamed to show the pics. though the car is in great shape, paint, paint, interior, no oil leaks, steering a little bit of play. and the cams tend to stick for a little while after sitting for a month, but they loosen up as soon as the engine temp comes up.

it needs to get a good cleaning before i post pics of it. and yeah its a 63 turbo-charged 4 spd

we also have a 63 falcon with a 170 3spd on the tree.

ill try to post when i clean and wash both.

i was wondering if anyone would notice it.

and i have several words for Ralph Nader!!

Last edited by Crystian; 08/12/05 05:24 PM.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:
There is some automotive history there. Anybody remember "Unsafe At Any Speed"?

Yes, I do and also learned it in college Philosophy: Ethics in Engineering. Ralph Nader (or was he the exploding Pinto gas tank). Oops, showing my age here.

Edit: Yes, it is (by previous post).

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/12/05 05:25 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
A bit overkill, but what ever works for you. Good write up

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
yeah i know its a bit of overkill, but some of us need it. Its such a PITA if you cant figure it out. When i first tried it, i tried from the bottom for about 2.5 hours. i gave up and drove around asking different shops. they tried to steal from me anywhere from 80 to 120 dollars because they said it required special tools and it would be very, very difficult. ohh and some said that there would be an extra charge to reset the computer. i couldnt see myself paying 50 bucks let alone 80-120. so i went home.

i had tried crows feet, and since they didnt work for this application, i took them back and while i was browsing, Bamn, O2 sensor removal socket, 10 bucks. and the rest is history.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Wish I had come across this last week. I just changed that O2. Went over the top from the passenger side with big hands/arms & without removing the coil pack. MFin' PITA!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Thanks for the pix. They will be a great help when I change mine in a couple weeks. Definitely not overkill as a picture is worth a thousand words. Great how to made even better with the pictures.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard