Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1358646 08/11/05 05:44 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've spent some time figuring out what can be done to the Contour in STS, since that seems to be the class for this car, so I thought I'd post it for review, in case anyone is interested in staying STS legal while they mod.

Intake:
Any intake is fine, but no TB optimization allowed.

Engine:
pulleys - any
DMD
chip - any
engine mounts - no more metal than stock, by volume

Transaxle:
Any shifter/linkage is fine.
Poly roll resistor

Exhaust:
Cat-back: anything goes
headers - any road-legal headers
y-pipe: optimization is okay, I think.
Cats: don't touch them!

Suspension:
struts/springs - Koni/GC, Leda, D2 or KW coilovers are probably best. Lowering is allowed, but you probably don't want to go lower than having the control arms parallel to the ground.
Camber plates: legal, and adjustable, so set them to whatever for the street, and max them out negative on the track
bushings: you can put poly just anbout anywhere.
swaybars: you can change either bar. BAT with stock/soft suspension, Aussie for coilovers.

Wheels:
16x7.5 or 17x7.5, as light as you can find. ATS Comp Lites are great.

Tires:
225 width, Falken Azenis 215/615, Hankook Z212, or Yoko Advan Neova. 225/45 is probably best in either 16" or 17". 205/55R16 Falken 615s are a great deal for running on SVT wheels.

Brakes:
SS braided hoses
No rotor size changes, but you can run any pads.

Weight stuff:
Battey can be swapped with a lightweight model, or moved to the trunk.
AC can be removed
Both front seats can be swapped for fully-upholstered seats with a 15# per seat minimum: definetly worth it if you have power seats.

Other stuff:
Knauberizing is okay
debagding is okay
bodykits are okay

That's pretty much it. In order of gain/cost balance:

Free weight reduction
Tires/wheels
swaybar
camber plates
struts/springs
y-pipe
roll resistor
intake
chip
exhaust
headers
bushings/engine mounts/expenisve weight reduction

This list is as near as I can figure, the most efficient mod path as far as $$/lap time. Other things may be important to you, and your driving style/courses may change it. Since we all drive our cars on the street, things may not be in the order you would do them, but it's just a guide.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
What exactly are road legal headers? Wouldn't that mean that we would have to keep the pre-cats.

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
As I alluded to over in the "dyno" section, headers take the Contour out of STS because of the precats. STS allows headers, but they don't allow removal or alteration of any emissions equipment (cats).

There is no direct rule on the Y-pipe. Most of us have surmised that it's legal based on interpretation of the rules. Stock class allows the cat-back. STS allows headers for everyone else, which opens the door (by extrapolation) for mods in front of the main cat. The Y-pipe does not remove or disable any emissions equipment. Voila!

Intake is fine, but the MAF is also off limits. No reason to change it, anyway.

Brakes have to be the same size and type as standard, and stock calipers must be retained. Slotted or cross-drilled are legal, but I wouldn't recommend them. No fancy modular rotors or lightweight fixed calipers allowed.

As for priorities, IMMHO, I'd do tires before anything else, even if weight reduction is free. Somebody seasoned on nationals events put ergonomics next, even ahead of suspension. That's harness/strap/whatever-it-takes-to-hold-you-in-the-seat, "race" pedals, good helmet, etc. Everyone has their own ideas, though, and that's good.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Tires:
225 width, Falken Azenis 215/615, Hankook Z212, or Yoko Advan Neova. 225/45 is probably best in either 16" or 17". 205/55R16 Falken 615s are a great deal for running on SVT wheels.

Don't forget a few other tire options.

Falken GRB FK-451(these work well shaved) and you can get a size like 225/35ZR17. Some people claim that the lower tread compound is the RT-615 compound I do not know if it is true or not but I have seen a few people go very fast on these tires.

Kumho MX - Some people say they are not as fast as others but they handle the heat a lot better than the azenis(don't need to water your tires). I think at least one National Tour was won by a guy running these. I like the feel of these better than the Azenis but you need to have wide rims for them (soft sidewall) but I think the Azenis can be faster if properly setup/driven.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The 615s have really overcome the heat problem of the 215s, and the new Kooks are better and cheaper than the MXs. Kuhmo is really out of the running now. Last year they were a serious competitior, but both high-end and low-end tires came and took their market share. Did you read the GRM article on auto-x tires?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Every time one of these posts come up I remember SVTCole driving all night to Spring Zing in his bone stock E0 (save 45 series Kumho's) and waxing every Contour that cared to run including the modded ones.

Seat time and weight distribution are the best bang for the buck mods out there.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I read it.

The 615's still have heat problems(not as bad as the 215 but they still need water when hot). I run a set and can tell you while they do not get greasy as fast as the older 215's they do still get greasy.

As for the Kooks I have not driven on them yet so I can not say much about them.

I read the R Compound test more than the ST test what I got from it was basically all the tires are pretty good these (Falken) are a little better but pick your poison based on your driving style/car setup and personal preference.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

Seat time and weight distribution are the best bang for the buck mods out there.

So true. Almost goes without saying.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, I should put an autocross school at the top of that last: a couple hundred buck will shave several seconds off of any new driver's time, and tenths off even seasoned driver's times. And it's fun!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Holy crap! I didnt think I was STS, but a stock TB and reversing the Mystery Mod are all I need.

But... Wonder what they would think about the heim joint controlled Aussie bar or the boxed control arms.

Last edited by ExDelayed; 08/15/05 01:29 AM.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard