Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
1.6 load level equates to .6 bar (~9psi) of boost on top of 100% Volumetric Efficiency. Scale from there.

The important part in tuning is making sure 100% load is actually 100%. After that it's all down hill because the PCM calculates everything correctly for you.

See, that is what I asked you earlier! Is the pressure ratio directly equivialent to engine load?

I started doing the scaling based on max pressure ratio but I think it won't be that simple when I think that the volumetric efficiency is definitely not linear with rpm or with boost. The factory load values are very non linear with regard to fuel and spark which corroborates this assumption. Oh well, it'll be in the ball park.

***Edit***
After some searching it appears the lightning boosts at up to 8psi stock, about 1.54 pressure ratio. That would make sense to use load values slightly higher.

Last edited by warmonger; 09/08/05 11:47 AM.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
I always tuned mine at 1.3 for 8psi. I never felt as though I was hitting the higher values at 1.6 on the dyno. Might just be me.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well I'm going to have variable boost rates. I will need to plan for higher potential loads as well as those.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by WRX Barge:
Don't forget you'll probably have to change all your tables to compensate for the massive load differences... unless you have that part from the old chip.

So is there any correlation between boost pressure ratio and engine load?
Max load for the tables in the software is about 2.0 but enters in as 1.989 or something like that.
I'm experimenting with this setup right now. I got the car running yesterday and I entered my first tune. It seemed to flash ok but it is throwing rich codes for both banks almost immediately.
I'm addressing that issue but I don't have any practical basis for the load values.

Looks like I'm a little late to answer this question.

I would however say that it's more related to density ratio then it is pressure ratio.

From what I surmise the ECU knows how much air the engine should consume via the setting saying what the engine size is. So more than 100% as stated above is a higher load.

Load values in my WRX (yeah.. I know different ECU) hit 2.4 (which with more assumptions is about 240% load.. which running 22 psi of boost could happen).

Anyway.. to sum things up.. yeah.. more boost equals higher load values which means you need to rescale your tables otherwise you'll get no real control over the higher load sites.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
That is kind of what I was thinking. I spent hours yesterday doing my tune. I flashed the pcm, put in the CORRECT maf transfer function, and rescaled the relevant load tables. The problem with that is that I had to rescale all the values since the cells values don't shift with the axis values. (some people will know what that last sentence means )
So it seems to be running pretty nice except that when I turn on the AC it takes a while before the computer turns the compressor on. I know it is a load issue but I don't know where to address it.
Anyone know the first place to look for that one?

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I don't know if it has anything to do with it but there is an area to adjust at what loads the computer is in closed loop I believe.

Not sure if that has anything to do with AC but you might want to mess with it anyway.

I datalogged some turbo cars and they seem to have some odd load values at idle and since the turbo's come on so quick the computer is rarely in closed loop unless you adjust those parameters.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
I spent hours yesterday doing my tune. I flashed the pcm, put in the CORRECT maf transfer function, and rescaled the relevant load tables.

:Gulp: I thought you had the 90mm MAF. I hope that didn't mess you up there for a bit!

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
No, Brent supposedly loaded in the 80mm MAF transfer function for an initial tune but it was apparently for a 90mm.
I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't sent me the 90mm values though.
Also, it would just make it richer, i.e. more safe if I ran those values. NO sweat.

Found out today that even with the corrected MAF transfer function it is still trimming back around 20% fuel at cruise loads. At idle it was only around 4%. I had this issue before and I used the emanage to trim back 20% fuel on top of the chip. Then the computer learned in all its values and was fine.

AC system doesn't allways want to turn on. AFter a full throttle run on the highway and then light loads it began to work but sometimes would shut off. I'm sure it has to do with load calculations and throttle position. I'm probably going to have to change the load scaling that I used as well as trim out some fuel which ought to help with the load calcs anyway.

I'll trim the fuel

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Downloaded a new program an hour ago that corrected the maf transfer function. I had to scale it in excel in a nonlinear manner, 4% leaner up to 20% at high voltages. Then I rescaled some of the load axes and adjusted the key values.

First impressions are great! It totally smoothed out the cruise and off idle. No backfires. Smoother engagement, AC appears to be working consistently now.
Even with the .3 bar spring in the wastegate now and a fairly warm afternoon I am getting wheelspin in 1st. I purposely got a lower pressure spring so that I wouldn't spin the wheels in first as much and even with the 235/45 tires.
Oh well, it isn't real bad and it is a good start.
I've had to order two new axles because it appears that the vibration I've been experiencing under acceleration are from worn out inner CV joints. I guess all that torque just beat the crap out of them over the last two years. No torn boots and they felt fine when I checked them out of the car. Oh well, if I can get the new ones to last as long as the stock ones then I'll be doing good.

Overall I'm friggin extremely Stoked!

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Good deal.. it's great seeing more people tuning their own cars.

Get some more knowledge on these boards.

War... I was planning on doing about the exact same thing on you to my contour with the 2.5L before it had an unfortunate incident with a telephone pole... glad it's working out well.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard