Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I had some good questions, but I suppose they are useless now...I read the FAQ!!

Anyway, I still have a couple questions though...

I didn't have this done because I don't usually pay someone to maintain my fluids (except oil changes, $15.00, can't beat it...), they just quoted me these as a courtesy check!

Is it really necessary to pay somebody an EXTRA $30 to flush and bleed your ABS on top of the regular price they charge to flush and bleed the brakes? I would think, at least according to the FAQ, that you just follow the correct wheel order...

Also, when adjusting the rear brakes...

Why, if they are self adjusting drums, would the repair shop tell me that my rear drum brakes are (snicker snicker right? ) "Loose and dirty?" Again, it was a courtesy check...Okay, so I go drive in reverse a little bit and come to a complete stop a couple times, and all's tight and adjusted. But what about being dirty? I had the rear drums cleaned and adjusted once a LONG time ago on a different vehicle, and it made absolutely no difference. So, help...

Thanks......................

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Unless the ABS is activated while flushing the fluid, the fluid in the ABS control unit doesn't get changed.

I just make it a point to invoke the ABS shortly after flushing the brakes and I flush the brakes often (once a year).

What they are asking for is not unreasonable since they need to hook up a scanner to activate the ABS while flushing.

One the rear drums, it does help to ocassionally clean out the brake dust. It doesn't seem to get out of there very well by itself. On many cars, the rear self adjusters don't work real well. They tend to get sloppy with wear. It is common practice to clean and adjust rear brakes ocassionally. You will usually notice a slightly higher pedal, at least for a while.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
So, how does one go about adjusting the rear brakes manually?

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You should get a manual. It is not easy to conceptualize without seeing it. Basically you adjust the adjuster a little tighter with a brake adjusting tool (brake spoon or screwdriver).

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Okay...I've got the manual...I'll check it out when I get home this morning...

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard