Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Yes.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
R_G: Good luck with the problem. The issue with cold temperatures allowing it to work at first with it stopping later when the car is warmed up was my experience too.
I can only surmize that the broken solder joint when cold made contact and when warmed up expanded enough to open it up. Based on my inspection of the switch internal parts and the flasher, I would state that the flasher is more prone to failure as it is more complicated and has more delicate parts. The copper conductors inside the switch are fairly thick. It would take a broken part in the switch rather than wear to cause a problem. However don't discount it but check the flasher first. It is easier to open up than the switch itself.

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I already got a used switch, so what I am gonna do here is to replace the switch, check it, then remove the flasher, open it and fix it if it needs re-soldering...

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Great; I sent you the pic and if you want, post it here so it can benefit others.
A little time invested and you can save the cost of both a switch and a flasher.

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thanks again.

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
IMHO it's not a flasher in my case. The flasher is responsible not only for turn "blinkage" but also for hazard lights, right? So I conducted an experiment. I waited till my turn signal failed, so the MDS was put for the left turn but the turn light failed and stopped blinking - at this very time I pressed the hazard lights button and it kept functioning properly; I repeated this process a coupla times with the same results; so I guess it's a MDS, right?

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I don't understand what happened the first time when I attempted to remove it - today it took me like literally 30 seconds to remove the entire assembly. I put in a used 96 stalk that came with a flasher ($7.50 off Ebay) and it works fine (knock, knock on the wood). I am gonna disassemble the flasher unit now to figure out "who" was the real culprit.

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I visually inspected the circuit board and found nothing that looks suspicious, no broken solder joints or something; on the other hand I am not that good at electronics, so take a look and judge by yourself:

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The flasher pics are not displaying. You may want to repost. BTW the removal and insertion of the switch is tempermental. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is not.
I had similar issues with the turn signal not working and then the 4 way hazards working OK. I can only surmize that in my case the solder joint issue was developing and the first time I opened up the flasher it was not fully developed and even though I looked for it I could not see it. The second time I had no trouble in spotting it and it is clearly visble on the photo I sent.
You may want to take the old switch apart to inspect it as well. I am sure there are a number of failure reasons for the multifunction switch.

R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by dellowm:
The flasher pics are not displaying. You may want to repost.

I see 'em...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard