Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I've had great success with the Motul 5.1 and it has a greater wet boiling point than the Motul 600.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
F
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
F
OOOOOOOh Maaaaaaaaaan into the the trash can, Ahhhhh whew found the receipt! Now for a shower!

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by F111D F:
OOOOOOOh Maaaaaaaaaan into the the trash can, Ahhhhh whew found the receipt! Now for a shower!

Paul

to answer your original question, I've never used the castrol LMA, I'm sure its decent, as Castrol certainly knows how to make good fluid; thier SRF fluid is considered to be one of the best racing brake fluids in the world.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
F
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
F
found Castrol LMA at Pep Boys, forgot about that store, after shopping I now remember. Strange place to shop!!!

Does the ATE come in a metal container? I realize it's slow but if the cotainer been on the shelf too long, it's makes me wonder how much moisture I'm buying?

What is it about ATE that makes it not hygroscopic? Synthetic base or the additives?

Wonder what Valvoline did to their stuff???

Just goes to show actual experience "been there done that" beats marketing drivel anyday.

TNX
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by F111D F:
What is it about ATE that makes it not hygroscopic? Synthetic base or the additives?

Wonder what Valvoline did to their stuff???

The ATE is hygroscopic.

The Valvoline SynPower is less hygroscopic then normal because it is a synthetic fluid. It's very hard to beat the Valvoline for a daily driver/track car. It is a great all around fluid.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, it's just that ATE is less hydroscopic than most other fluids. It's a full syn as well, and blended for low mousture aborbtion.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

The Valvoline SynPower is less hygroscopic then normal because it is a synthetic fluid. It's very hard to beat the Valvoline for a daily driver/track car. It is a great all around fluid.

Originally posted by rara:
I can't stand the valvoline synpower. It doesn't last two months in my car before I feel its too spongy; it soaks up water faster than any other fluid I've ever worked with.

you guys wanna clarify this? it seems as though you are contrdicting each other. i ask because last time i changed the fluid i used the valvoline because of the positive things demon said about it. but now i see rara saying the opposite and his advice should also be taken into account.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Rara is likely being tougher on it than Demon. There are a lot of variables that could affect the experiences they each had, but I'd bet that Rara just messes around with brakes a lot more, and hasn't liked it in his conditions. However, if Demon says he likes it, you can bet that it's not a bad fluid, and it is doubtless better than most fluids except stuff like ATE that we've been discussing. Any major brand synthetic will give you good results. If you have stock brake hoses and street pads, and don't drive agressively, the odds of seeing the difference within a couple years are slim to none.

So in summary: no reason to drain what you're using, but I'd reccommend that everyone who doesn't bleed or flush their brakes all the time find some ATE super-blue and do it right. Anything will work in a pinch, but if you are planning ahead the ATE is probably the least hydroscopic fluid out there and it'll last for a very long time.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Anything will work in a pinch, but if you are planning ahead the ATE is probably the least hydroscopic fluid out there and it'll last for a very long time.

I thought we were supposed to change it once a year.

Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
A fresh batch of ATE once a year would provide great street performance.

Quote:

Rara is likely being tougher on it than Demon. There are a lot of variables that could affect the experiences they each had, but I'd bet that Rara just messes around with brakes a lot more, and hasn't liked it in his conditions. However, if Demon says he likes it, you can bet that it's not a bad fluid, and it is doubtless better than most fluids except stuff like ATE that we've been discussing.

Must you give your opinion on everything? The question was posed to Rara and DemonSVT; how about letting them answer instead of giving your guess at their answer

GD, you run a couple auto-x and change some struts and you think you hung the moon.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
My answer had nothing to do with racing, it had to do with all the research I did on brake fluids over the past two months when I started rebuilding my brakes. I talked to all my friends who track their cars, I read the archives, I googled, I asked around at other forums.

I don't see any contradiction in my statements above: "a long time" is compared to generic DOT 3. Certainly your car won't lose all braking after a year, but changing it once a year provides very crisp braking all the time. It's a conservative default that I like to recommend.

And as for my comment about Rara and Demon's advice: I happened to be on at the same time as he asked the question, so I said what I had been thinking about it, since I had also noticed the disagreement. I was just voicing my opion, since as you noticed, I have one about everything. I'm obcessed with vehicle dynamics and mechanics, and the reasons that you could get two very different opinions of the same fluid were of interest to me.

On the other hand, your only contributions to this thread have been to criticize my posts. What gives?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard