Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Okay, so my stupid ignition lock jammed-up today when I went to turn it off. It was in "Run" and would only turn to "Start" -- I couldn't even shut the car off! At least I had the remote and an extra key for the door, so I could lock it while I was inside the 7-11 I was at. Back at work, I tore (carefully, with tools) the column panels apart enough to pull the switch off the back and turn it off with a screwdriver. Later on, I took stuff apart more, beat on things with a small hammer, jiggled, wiggled and cussed, and was unsuccessful in removing or turning the key. I ended up having to drill the stupid lock assembly out, since it needs to be in "Accessory" (short search of CEG ) in order to remove the lock cylinder. That was really fun. Good thing it has PATS though, since it won't start without the key near the PATS antenna. And now that I have the key out, nobody can just turn the switch and take off with it. Around 158 bucks (a lot lower than I feared!) for a new lock set -- you can't get the ignition re-keyed to your old key. So, now I get to replace all my locks so they will have one key. Yay for me. Good thing the tweeter fell off my other stupid 5x7 door speaker while I was on vacation, 'cause now I already have my driver's door panel off! Again. Infinity "Krappa" series. Cheap friggin' Chinese garbage.

Oh, and while on vacation last week, my Check Engine light came back on intermittently, as well as my Airbag light. Good times.

On a brighter note, I ran into a guy at a stereo store last night who almost bought a black SVT a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't work out and he got a new Focus instead. He still wants to get an SVT 'Tour soon though. He came outside and checked out my car, and showed me his Focus.

While on vacation, I had three complete strangers come up and talk to me about my car. One said he'd only seen 3-4 SVTs come through his town before. I saw quite a few other peoples' heads turn and check it out as I drove by. At least it's nice to have a car that still has a fan base and draws attention, even though it's a few years old and out of production.

Also, while driving through a small town in NE Oregon on the way home, I was looking at cars and houses and noticed a black SVT in a driveway, with someone washing it. I turned around and went back and talked to the guy and his wife for 10 minutes or so. That was pretty cool. I told him about the site, so hopefully he'll check it out. And, if you're reading this, "hi" and welcome to CEG!

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
D
DDV Offline
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Glad to hear you had a mostly good trip. I'm sorry I couldn't meet up with you somewhere along the way; been working a lot of OT lately.

My CEL has been going off and coming back on. It's off at the moment, but I need to get under the hood and start checking things out.

Take care,
David

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by GrooveNerd:
you can't get the ignition re-keyed to your old key. So, now I get to replace all my locks so they will have one key.

Did the dealer or locksmith tell you this ?

I thought all ignition cylinders could be setup with any key.
It's just a matter of setting up the tumblers in the new IC.
I gave the Ford dealer my VIN number and they had me a new IC with it already setup with my current key on my Focus.

I just had to remove the seized IC and install the new one.

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
That was what the parts dude at the dealer said. He said that ignition lock is only available in a complete lock set for the PATS-equipped cars. That's mighty lame, although I think it was about $115 for the ignition lock alone on the non-PATS cars. Anyway, I'll check into a re-keying of the new lock before I bother to replace the rest of the locks.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I would call the local locksmith and see what they say since this is their profession.

You should only need to replace the ignition cylinder, which is seperate from the PATS antenna in your steering column. The IC can be configured to your current key.

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard