Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by sail114:
The problem is that when you go into a tire shop and don't know what you want, they will ineveitably try to screw you. (when I had my Michelins mounted last time, the manager said: "why do you have these tires on this thing? It's only a Contour."--if my car wasn't up on the lift with all 4 wheels off, I would have driven right out of there).

Reminds me of when I was looking for tires for my Lincoln Mark VIII. The guy told me that speed ratings don't matter because it couldn't do 100 mph in the first place.

However the very same guy had previously drooled over my '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and talked about how fast they were. It *looks* faster, but has 90 less hp and is 1.5 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile than the Lincoln.

You'd think that people who spend 8 hours a day around all kinds of different cars would know a little bit about them.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
i got the cooper cobra GT 215 60 15

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Ugh!

Ok, so I went back to Discount tires and they replaced the
Warrior HR 205/60R-15 91H BSW with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred P205/60R-15 90T VSB. Like I said before, the Warriors seem OK but I have been told that they are not good in the rain/snow and pull slighty. Discount tires only has specific tires that are able to fit on my car...and they don't have some of the ones that people suggest.

Now, the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred P205/60R-15 90T VSB are WORST ride than the Warrior HR 205/60R-15 91H BSW I now they Contour calls for the *T* rating but for some reason the *H* rating on the Warriors where a better ride. My reasoning can only be that the SE series suspension needs a stronger side wall since the SE is a sports design suspension and the *H* rating works better for that suspension? But, then why is it orignally called for the *T* rating?????

I don't know what to do now......

Now I have to go back again to Discount tires. Although, they do offer that 30 guarantee on all tires and Goodyear does specifically.

I should have stayed with Bell tires where I always have gone.

Since I am stuck with Discount tires now, could someone please check out their website and look at the tires available for my car and make a suggestion???

Mary

1999 FORD CONTOUR SE/SPORT

http://www.discounttire.com

Last edited by Myrosia; 07/31/05 04:42 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
T tires are rated for 118 MPH and H tires are rated for 130 MPH. Our Contours, IIRC have a governor which prevents it from going above 115 MPH. From a safety standpoint, you are fine. Most of us regular folks seldom push it above 100 MPH (insurance). I don't think the H and T ratings make a whole lot of "comfort and better ride" difference.

The difference in ride that you feel is probably psychological but I would suggest changing it back if you feel better about the previous tires. All tires (with different tread design) will feel different initially as you are used to the previous tread design.

To quote Auto X who "autox's" during the weekends (and probably has a better "feeling" about tire performance and handling than most of us),

"Tires are not going to make a huge difference in ride. .... However, if you want a cushier ride, I'd get new struts and bushings. Yours are probably failing."

Good luck.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I've had 3 cars with various types of Goodyear Eagle tires, and I've never been happy with them. They all handle pretty well in dry weather, but the ride & wear are nothing special, and bad-weather handling is downright atrocious. As soon as it starts raining out, the damn things feel like they're made out of blocks of ice.

I'd recommend Michelins for overall ride/handling/comfort. IIRC, those Assurance tires are at least as expensive, so you should be able to upgrade without spending any more money. I really liked the Bridgestone Turanzas on my last car, but it looks like Discount doesn't sell them. Good luck!

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Yes, the Assurance cost me ober $400...I didn't want to spend that much...the Warriors cost me $230!

That's one of the reasons I did not even look ar Goodyear or Michelins before!

Anyways, I think that the rating does have something to do with it and also the tread design.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
To quote Auto X who "autox's" during the weekends (and probably has a better "feeling" about tire performance and handling than most of us),

"Tires are not going to make a huge difference in ride. .... However, if you want a cushier ride, I'd get new struts and bushings. Yours are probably failing."

Good luck.

And that is complete BS, there is a HUGE difference. Just call Tirerack and ask for tires that will be the best for performance and which tires will give the most compliant ride. I guarantee there will be different tires on each list. 1-800-428-8355

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Good luck.

And that is complete BS, there is a HUGE difference. Just call Tirerack and ask for tires that will be the best for performance and which tires will give the most compliant ride. I guarantee there will be different tires on each list. 1-800-428-8355

Bigmoneyracing, what happened to the jokes? But seriously, Myrosia appears to like the ride on the H tires more than the T tires. And I would think that a higher speed rated tire (performance rather than comfort) would not be as "cushy" as a lower speed rated tire (comfort rather than performance). Your thoughts on this. Thanks.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Myrosia Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Hey guys...

For some reason I think the car rides with more *cushion* with the *H* rather than *T*. I am still waiting to decide what to do. I will call that 800 number too.

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I put Kumho Ecsta ASX on My 99 SE Sport (with SVT wheels)
and they ride great and get good traction in the wet.
Never tried them in the snow, though
Kumho Ecsta ASX
225/50R-16 92W BSW
Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: ZR
http://discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=92008&rc=CASINT&cs=225&pc=33348&rd=16&ar=50

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard