Print Thread
#1343230 07/25/05 05:46 AM
Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Ok, this all started the other day (2 weeks ago) when it was 102 outside, i came out of my grandma's house, and oh no my dash is falling apart. The defrost vent was popped up out of the dash, and it appears to have been held in previously by clear silicone.

BTW. I have a '99 SE Sport, 2.5L V6, MTX, 51,200 miles, oil every 2,500 miles.

Anyway, so on the my home my f'ing check engine light comes on, now i'm getting pissed. So I call up my mechanic, he says "bring it up i'll pull the codes" So i do just that, and it pulls a P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency below Limit - Bank No 2. So he's like ford has a 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warrenty. So i goto ford, and ford's like well we have to check the code ourselves, but if it is actually the cataylitic converter ford will replace it, great that's nice, they should. So while i was waiting I asked the guy, hey what's up with the dashboard? He was like "oh there was a recall on that awhile back, but it's expired now." This really pissed me off, so i'd like to ask you guys, is there anyway i can get ford to perform the recall work on my 'tour? The recall was before i even owned the car (my 1 year aniversery is october.) Also one more thing, when i was making to appointment for them to replace the cat. (it was bad and they had to order one), he said while they were inspecting my car, they found a few things that needed attention. He said i need a new fuel filter, because mine is bad. (I have no idea when it was replaced ever, but i personally have put about 12,000 miles on the car) should this be replaced? He also said that my Mass Airflow Sensor needed to be replaced, with no reason attached, and he said my injectors are very dirty. Ford quoted me $250 to remedy that stuff, my mechanic laughed and said it was just an attempt to make money. Although my dad seems to think i should replace the fuel filter to be safe, and my uncle says to use Slic 50 to clean the injectors out. As for the Mass Airflow Sensor, what's the deal with that? do those go bad? are there any indicators that i can look at without needing special tools? All this talk of bad stuff has got me worried cause I need my car to last a long time and i'm not exactly rich right now.

Sorry for the long post, but i have a lot on my mind and i'm not in a very good mood about the whole dashboard thing.

'99 SilFro SE V6 MTX Alpine CDA-9833, 12" L7, Pioneer 6x8's, Fidanza Short Throw, K&N Drop-In, Spec1 Clutch/Flywheel, WR Headers / Y-Pipe, TBz Cat, PRT Roll Resistors Mods in queue: Trubendz Res. Magnaflow Ex. SVT UIM/LIM/Opt.TB
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You can change the fuel filter yourself ($10) and clean the MAF sensor (buy some electrical cleaner). We have "how- tos" for both. Slick 50 might be good for the fuel injectors (try that before you decide to have the dealer or indie do something else).

As for the dashboard, I think that was a Customer Satisfaction/Extended Warranty rather than a recall.

Fuel Filter
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=958655&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

MAF
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=991907&Forum=zetecmaint&Words=MAF&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=989728&Search=true#Post991907

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Ok, I bought a fuel filter at Advance Auto Parts today, it was on sale for $6.96 . It's a purolator with the hose clips, I'm going to change that tomorrow following the guide i printed out from your link. Where can i find that no residue electrical cleaner you spoke of?

'99 SilFro SE V6 MTX Alpine CDA-9833, 12" L7, Pioneer 6x8's, Fidanza Short Throw, K&N Drop-In, Spec1 Clutch/Flywheel, WR Headers / Y-Pipe, TBz Cat, PRT Roll Resistors Mods in queue: Trubendz Res. Magnaflow Ex. SVT UIM/LIM/Opt.TB
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner also from Advance Auto. Red can with black cap. About $4.

Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
ok, got the fuel filter replaced, put in some slick 50 and 10 gallons of gas, and im going to go clean the MAF right now.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
feels great to save $200 doesn't it

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SVTatGT:

Let's wait until he reports that the Contour is running fine before getting all excited about the cost savings.

Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Let's wait until he reports that the Contour is running fine before getting all excited about the cost savings.

it's running better then ever! I guess the stuff really did need to be fixed, but the thing that makes me happy is i did it :-D. One of the things cured my problem of heisitation around 3000-4000 rpm, it would kinda hesitate if you floored it in that range, now the problem is gone, i'm guessing it was the fuel filter? The gas that poured out of the fuel filter was like totally brown.

BTW someone needs to update that pic in the fuel filter guide, because my fuse box looked nothing like that, i had to dig through the manual to make sure i was pulling the right fuse

Last edited by ymicz; 07/28/05 07:16 AM.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ymicz:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

it's running better then ever! I guess the stuff really did need to be fixed, but the thing that makes me happy is i did it :-D. One of the things cured my problem of heisitation around 3000-4000 rpm, it would kinda hesitate if you floored it in that range, now the problem is gone, i'm guessing it was the fuel filter? The gas that poured out of the fuel filter was like totally brown.

You may want to avoid letting the gas tank go below 1/4 tank as you seem to have a lot of sediment in your tank. Or you will be doing the fuel filter replacement again very soon. In any case, it appears that a yearly replacement is in order for you. Enjoy the increase performance.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard