Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
ok, will do.. So it is normal to not have 12v when I try and ground 3 to 5 on the green relay?? the black relay has 12v when I ground 3 and 5 Thanks just trying to understand

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Don't ground 3, that is 12 volts and will blow a fuse! If you mean connect 3 and 5 together at the black relay, that gives 12 volts to the fan motor. 3 and 5 at the green will connect 12 volts to the fan resistor, there could be a problem there. The pin 3's in the sockets
are just 12 volts, source of power, the relay clicks on and sends the power to pin 5 which leads to the motor circuit. Maybe there is a way to scan you an image of the diagram. I will see tomorrow.

C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Alright fave, That would really be apreciated. I didnt mean ground sorry, I ment with the voltmeter..

when I check the volts on the black relay by using the 5 and 3 pins its 12v.

when I check the volts on the green relay using the 5 and 3 pins its 0 now if I leave positive volt checker on and touch the negative on the batter I get 12v.

So basicaly im getting 12 volts through the black relay but the green relay will only pull 12v when I use a different ground then the 5 pin

does that make more sense? So what im trying to figure out is if the green relay should have 12v running through it when I check with a voltmeter and use the 3 and 5 pins as the positive and ground? because my green relay does not, I have to use a different ground then we get 12v.

phew! thanks again for ALL your help Fave.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I will go look at my schematic. Were you measuring across 3 to 5 with (+) on 3 (-) on 5? It looks like you should get 12V to me, either relay socket. I will check on my car tomorrow. You do have 12v on both pin 3's. So far, I think your low speed motor resistor (from pin 5 green through resistor to motor to ground) is bad. I want to measure the ohms on My car from pin 5 to ground on each relay socket, then you could do it. My ohms will probably be lower (2 motors).

"
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
"
I apologize for being lost here but have you replaced the sensors? If so, is the temp gauge now working properly now that you have replaced them?

1999 Mercury Mystique LS 3L Manual
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Good point about sensors. I went out and experimented on my Mystique. I measured with the relays pulled, key/engine OFF

Green Low Speed:
3-5 12 Volts
5 to battery ground .4-.5 Ohms
Jump 3 to 5 Fan Runs Slower

Black High speed circuit:
3-5 12 Volts
5 to battery ground .1 Ohm
Jump 3 to 5 Fan Runs Faster

If your 12 volts is missing from 3 to 5 on the green relay, check the ohms from 5 to battery ground, should be more than the ohms from the same pins on the black relay. Good luck, maybe the problem can be solved! The resistor is mounted to the fan assembly. Your fan should then come on with the a/c.

C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Fave! I apreciate all the info and work you have done with me. I cant thank you enough, I am going to check that resistor and see what I get. Thanks

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You're welcome! Keep me posted.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Any luck?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1