C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
1995 2.0 GL
Single cooling fan "duel speed"

My Cooling fan will come on right when I start the car for about 7 seconds then turn off and will not come on again. The car will then procede to overheat the sender is broken so I cant tell where the temp is, But I can tell by the coolent noise and smell that the car is HOT!!! Is there anyway I can get the fan to always come on for now? or fix the problem? Thanks guys

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Autozone.......

TEMPERATURE SWITCH for a 1995 FORD CONTOUR WELLS TU206 $10.99. Fix your temp gauge.............

Sounds like your coolant sensor is fubar, COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR for a 1995 FORD CONTOUR WELLS SU201 $15.99

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
First, take a look under the hood, see if you can find the fan wiring at the motor, and trace it back, see if there are any damaged wires. If so, see if the Ford dealer will do a recall repair on it. I don't know if it applies to the Zetec. There is a fan relay, and other components, a schematic from the Ford service CD or manuals will help. If the coolant temp sensor is bad the check engine light will be on. Does the fan run steady if you turn on the a/c,if it does, leave the a/c on, until you can solve the problem.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
If so, see if the Ford dealer will do a recall repair on it.

If Ford does this recall (wiring harness) on a 10 year old car, I'll be impressed.
Also the recall (engine cooling fan motor bearings) is for the Duratec engine not the Zetec.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
when the AC is on the FAN does not come on, all the wires look fine coming from the fan, I can get the fan to come if I put the wrong relay in the slot! lol what the??? could it be a bad relay?

C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
UPDATE!

The fan will come on for 6 seconds, as soon as I start the car then will never run again. WHY?? I dont understand this! can someone please help? do you guys think it may be the relays?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It might be. Which relay clicks after start, see if it clicks again when the fan stops in 7 seconds. Put your finger right on the black relay or green and feel the click. I tried that on my car, to see which circuit was active. If the green relay clicks on, clicks off, it is either being shut off or a connection gets loose. Push against the relay and see if the fan comes back on. Let me know.

C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
thanks Fave! I will try this tomorow and see what relay kicks on and off.

ps. should the green relay slot be hot when the AC is on? the black one is, the green one is not. I tried to jump 3-5 on the green Nothing! the black relay starts the fans right away. thanks

also when I put the green relay in the black slot with the ac on the green relay clicks loudly and the fans come on?

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
To check the relay you could just temporarily switch it with another and check it like you are doing....

I would replace your ECT sensor. This is what is read from the computer to determine if your fans should come on. If the ECT sensor is not detecting proper tempature then fans will not work correctly. Also there is another sender that is for your temp gauge on the dash. Sounds like you need to replace this also if your gauge is not working.... ECT is a VERY important sensor. There are a number of subsystems that use this info, like atx, fans, engine, etc....

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Ok, From what I can tell the black relay is the one that is clicking the fan on and then off.... hmm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard