Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
My friend just got a 2001 jetta 1.8t and was wondering how fast it was, so I look up the stats
Engine Type DOHC 20-valve 1.8 Liter Turbo I4 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 108 cid/1781 cc
Horsepower 150 @ 5700 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 155 @ 4500 RPM
Transmission Four-speed automatic
Curb Weight 3180 pounds

I compare that to my contour se (v6 5speed)

I have 170 hp 165 tq and my actual weight when I last weighed it at the dump was 3128, so I figure I should have him just the power to weight ratio, and he has an automatic. But we have access to a private peice of land that we can safely run the cars with indagering other people, he will pull on me everytime, I ussaly get a launch on him, but then he slow start creeping on me, by the time we hit 60 (thats where we stop) he has just about made up the 1.5 car lengths, so this is very confusing to me.

1995 ford contour v6 5 speed , even though its not mine yet... http://www.cardomain.com/id/hyperlitenerd
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
my svt had the advantage over the 1.8t, but that was putting 171 hp to the ground and 150 tq.

i would think if you went to 90~ it would simulate the 1/4 better if thats what you are after.

maybe you need to work on your driving a little more, if im not mistaken those stock do high 15's stock, and ive definately seen v6 5spd tours do better than that.

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Your sedondaries may not be opening all the way, or your linkage might have come apart. The '95 is vacuum operated version and I don't know much about them, but that's a place to start. Clean them if you have not done so.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
he's atx...you should walk him.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by MapOfTaziF�³sh�³:

I know!! I should atleast have a few car lengths on him. Using my other friends gtec the best time I was able to get was 8.3, and that felt so smooth. I know my driving needs work, but im not sure what needs to be fixed, I am launching around 2700 then sliping the clutch out slowly pushing on the gas as I let the clutch out, well not crazy slow, but enough so as soon as the clutch is all the way out I am flooring it. When I am shifting should I wait for the syncros to get the rpms to the right level, just power shift taking foot of the gas, or leave foot on the gas, but not flooring it, basicly keeping it at 6250, then shifting gears and flooring it.

How do I check if my secondaries are opening? when I hit 4k I can definitly hear the engine change. is it possible to have the secondaries open all the time? or is that not a good idea?

1995 ford contour v6 5 speed , even though its not mine yet... http://www.cardomain.com/id/hyperlitenerd
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by hyperlitenerd:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziF�³sh�³:

is it possible to have the secondaries open all the time? or is that not a good idea?

Not a good idea. You'll lose a lot of low end torque. Like I said, check your linkage, you may have a busted/missing grommet and only 1/2 of your secondaries are opening.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
How do I check the linkage, sorry I am a car guy in training, my dad has no car skills so I am starting from scratch. and by secondaries i am assuming those are the valves. Are they easy to get at? or will this involve remvoving engine components?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
what year again? 95? if so its vaccum operated its not as easy to check......maybe a good uim/tb/lim/head intake ports is needed

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
ugh stupid 95, I was thinking about getting all the engine parts for it, getting it fast, but when it comes down to it, its not a drag car, its fwd, not alot of room in the engine. I am currently saving up my money for a new car, or my own car, this car is owned by my parents, and I have the privlage to use it kinda thing. I might be tempted to do one or two minor mods though. Id be happy if I got the 0-60 to 8 seconds.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
See.. now that is a respectable goal, and admirable to see that you know the limits of your time/money/interest (not hoping for sub 6's with $100 of work... etc)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard