Next Thread
Print Thread
#1329289 07/08/05 02:28 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Hey guys I was wondering what price you thought was good for a Roush trans? There is one in the classifieds for $900, but that seems a little steep. Could anyone give me some kind of idea to what a reasonable price would be? Thanks.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
#1329290 07/08/05 04:33 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Not worth it.
The only difference from between a regulaur trans and a Roush prepped trans is that the Roush trans has a Zetec final drive.
So you would still need to do all the upgrades (LSD & updated internals).
There are used trans up on Ebay for like $500 or less alot.
Get one and send it to Terry.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1329291 07/08/05 05:44 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by SleeperZ:

Or see if Terry has one lying around to modify, which is likely. You can't go wrong with that guy!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
#1329292 07/08/05 06:33 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Not worth it.
The only difference from between a regulaur trans and a Roush prepped trans is that the Roush trans has a Zetec final drive.

Just noticed this and I had to say something.....

What you fail to see is that it's a brand new transaxel and it also has a 20% stronger open diff. How is a brand new trans not worth $900? Shift forks and an LSD are great upgrades and needed on a new or used trans. This way you KNOW it's internals aren't abused, buying used you can only guess. Internal work can get spendy, I know because I had TH build my trans.
"Down side" is that it has a Zetec FD which should be used with atleast a 3L or any FI, or you might have a performance loss.

BTW, he got the trans from my GB and purchased it for $750 shipped. They were built for a driving school that used mod'd CSVT's as track cars, but changed formats. I purchased a lot of them, and have heard no complaints from anyone who actually used theirs. The only "bad" things I have heard is ALL from people who haven't even used one let alone own one.
He started out listing it @ $1K It'll cost about $60 to ship.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1329293 07/08/05 08:01 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Swazo:
Not worth it.

Just noticed this and I had to say something.....

What you fail to see is that it's a brand new transaxel and it also has a 20% stronger open diff. How is a brand new trans not worth $900? Shift forks and an LSD are great upgrades and needed on a new or used trans. This way you KNOW it's internals aren't abused, buying used you can only guess. Internal work can get spendy, I know because I had TH build my trans.
"Down side" is that it has a Zetec FD which should be used with atleast a 3L or any FI, or you might have a performance loss.

BTW, he got the trans from my GB and purchased it for $750 shipped. They were built for a driving school that used mod'd CSVT's as track cars, but changed formats. I purchased a lot of them, and have heard no complaints from anyone who actually used theirs. The only "bad" things I have heard is ALL from people who haven't even used one let alone own one.
He started out listing it @ $1K It'll cost about $60 to ship.

I guess I worded that wrong. I just wanted opinions as I do not know what a rebuilt one cost and I havent heard back from Terry. I have sent him the RFQ but still no reply. I am planning on going the 3L route so the Zetec final drive would not be a problem. I know if I did get it I would throw in a Torsen and a set of Terry's "slick shift" forks. Also Swazo would you mind PM'ing me with the price you paid for you trans and what you had done. Thanks for all the responses.
-tropictour

Last edited by tropictour; 07/08/05 08:02 PM.

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
#1329294 07/09/05 03:43 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I too had my trans built by TH, so I also know it can get spendy, and I also that it is worth every penny.
And an open diff, even if it is a bit stronger, still sucks for anything but daily driving.
And You can get rebuilt trans for less than $900 on EBay.
I got mine for $150 off EBay.
So I stand by my statement, the Roush prepped trans is not worth it.
Besides if he is going to go with a 3L,
he's going to want the trans fitted with an LSD,
So the trans is going to be opened up anyway,
might as well update/upgrade the internals,
so it won't matter if its a new or used trans at that point.
So start with the cheaper option, used/rebuilt from EBay.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1329295 07/09/05 07:52 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I too had my trans built by TH, so I also know it can get spendy, and I also that it is worth every penny.
And an open diff, even if it is a bit stronger, still sucks for anything but daily driving.
And You can get rebuilt trans for less than $900 on EBay.
I got mine for $150 off EBay.
So I stand by my statement, the Roush prepped trans is not worth it.
Besides if he is going to go with a 3L,
he's going to want the trans fitted with an LSD,
So the trans is going to be opened up anyway,
might as well update/upgrade the internals,
so it won't matter if its a new or used trans at that point.
So start with the cheaper option, used/rebuilt from EBay.

Agreed. Mr. Haines can do it up any way you want. He is definitely the person to talk with if you want something serious. The Roush unit is probably not a bad piece of gear if that's EXACTLY what you want. IMO you need the LSD installed to make the trans swap worth your while, so the Roush job wouldn't work out for me.

I too have a TH built tranny

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
#1329296 07/09/05 05:23 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
TH is the only person I'd buy a rebuilt trans from, anyone else hasn't burned all of the constant revisions from Ford, and which ones will work together or not into their head.

If one could get the Roush trans for what it went for in my GB, it would pay off. To have a zetec FD installed, the correct version is needed. TH charges $250-$300 for that alone, and that's at selling the part at cost and charging a fair flat fee to install it. Anywhere else it will cost even more.
It already has one, so all it 'needs' to be up to par is an LSD and shift forks installed and you have a brand new transaxel all around. The correct focus shift tower or even a mod'd OEM shift tower would also be a good idea.

Just my opinion though

TH would be good to ask and would tell you the best route to go and personally I would go which way he advises.

PM sent

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard