Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I just got this contour about a week ago. 2000 with 87k miles. Drove fine for a few days. Engine light came on. Figured I'd check it out on friday. Well, this afternoon, I started it and when I pressed the gas, it stalled. Started it again and it was fine. A few hours later, started it, and it stalled again when I pressed the gas. Started it and let it idle for a few, and it seemed fine, loping a little. Later and still warm, started right up and drove fine to town. A few hours later, started it, stalled, started it, let it idle a few, stalled when I pressed the gas. Started it and started to drive home. Going downhill about 35mph, I pressed the gas and it died. Tried to start a few times and then it just stopped turning over. Had to walk 2 miles to get home and now have a week old car on the freeway. Any similar problems or suggestions?

2000 Contour SE 2.0 ATX 87k mi. 1970 VW Kombi
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Welcome to CEG!

The fuel filter may be clogged.
The lower filter on the fuel pump may be clogged, if so adding gas can help. If you can, check the fuel pressure.

If it smelled rich the ECT could be going bad, in that case it will run when cold.

You could have a massive vacuum leak, check the lines for cracking or other damage. Check the intake resonator assembly on the I4 for disconnected parts. The PCV line on the V6 has a habit of getting soft and collapsing.

The I4 could have a timing belt issue. Otherwise it sounds like a fuel/air mixture problem.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Need to pull the codes it threw. Maybe an easy problem since it popped up when it stalled. I've had other cars that had bad position sensors that cratered all the sudden. Need to scan the EEC.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Frist of all, tow the car home or to a shop. You don't need a per day storage fee on top of the repair bill if it is tow by a wrecker without you knowing (plus you will need to call the cops to find out what happened to the car).

Engine light came one. Was it the check engine light (yellow)? If you can get that scanned, most of the CEGers can help you diagnose it more.

Don't give up. Most of us have been through this before. You will notice that once you have more info, everybody will chime in with their experience to help you through this.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Agreed.. pay the charge(or do it yourself) to get it home.
Buy a CHEAP scanner from autozone, etc($30.00??, returnable even, but I'd keep it!)

or have it scanned at Autozone, if it will run again...

give us the code numbers and we'll go from there..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Thanks for the welcome and replies. Getting ready to go back to car and see if it will start. Could it be because I haven't named her yet? Anyway, if it will not start, I will have it towed to the house. Good thing I still have old faithful, my '70 VW Kombi bus (Shamu).

Last edited by thasamorrish; 07/07/05 05:39 PM.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Well I went to the car, put in the key, turned it, and nothing. I hope I didn't mess up the starter. Could it be a fuse? It was too darn hot and scary with the traffic for me to check at the time.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
nothing.. nothing?? no dash lights? no interior lights? no nothing?

or did the guages work, and just no starter, or clicking..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Everything semmed to be in order, dash lights and the annoying bing-bing-bing. I just got really no sound at all when I turned the key. And the dash lights stayed on when I turned the key, so battery is fine.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Is the Contour home? or at the shop?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard