Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MazTour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I read the brake FAQ,but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Is it possible for SVT calipers (I'm not sure whether type A or B) to be used on a non-SVT with stock 260mm rotors,or would I need to upgrade to 278mm rotors?

Just wondering because I have the chance to pick up a pair of calipers with brand new KVR pads at a pretty good price,so I'd just like to know ahead of time if they'll fit or if I need new rotors.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
you will need the larger rotors.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
M
MazTour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Alright. Guess it gives me good reason to buy new rotors then,lol.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The late SVT calipers are the same as the ones you now have on the car. You need the late brackets to use them with the SVT rotors, or the same brackets you have now for use with the 260 mm rotors.

The early SVT calipers use a unique caliper bracket. If you use the early SVT calipers you will need to also use the early SVT brackets and the SVT rotors.

So if they are the late SVT calipers, there is no advantage to changing to them, but the pads would work with what you have now.

I hope that helped.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
MazTour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
so if they're later calipers they're pretty much a bolt on deal then? By "later" model,we're talking E1, '98.5 to 2000 to install on my 1995 right?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The changeover date is not clear. Ford published that it is 5/99, but it is much earlier, perhaps as early as 2/98.

Study the pictures of the differences at BAT. You can download their catalog here:

www.batinc.net

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Jim, I think you may just be confusing the guy.

If he's getting complete SVT calipers, regardless of whether they are E0 or E1, he will require the SVT rotors.

Both the early and late calipers will be a bolt on to any contour, provided you have the complete calipers, and the larger SVT rotors.

What Jim was trying to say, is that the body of the later calipers is the same as the standard contour caliper, with the difference being in the anchor bracket to make up the increase in rotor size. Where the early SVT caliper is different fromt he standard caliper.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Rara:
Jim, I think you may just be confusing the guy.

If he's getting complete SVT calipers, regardless of whether they are E0 or E1, he will require the SVT rotors.

Both the early and late calipers will be a bolt on to any contour, provided you have the complete calipers, and the larger SVT rotors.

What Jim was trying to say, is that the body of the later calipers is the same as the standard contour caliper, with the difference being in the anchor bracket to make up the increase in rotor size. Where the early SVT caliper is different fromt he standard caliper.

Now I'm confused.

IIRC, there is no difference between the 95 caliper and the later "E1" SVT caliper, so, as Jim said, no advantage to going there apart from obtaining a newer part.

So, that said, if he's happened upon a junkyard SVT "late" caliper, all he has to do is bolt it up to his present bracket, correct? Why would he need big rotors?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Everyone is making this WAY more confusing than it needs to be. Here is the breakdown.

ALL front calipers are THE SAME - EXCEPT for the first E0 SVT's. They had a unique caliper, bracket and pad.

If anyone with a NON-SVT wanted to upsize to the SVT sized rotors all they need to do is buy the SVT caliper backets from a 99 or newer SVT - alternatively buying the brackets from a V6 Cougar would be a better option BECAUSE they too have SVT sized front brakes AND you may find that because it doesn't have "SVT" associated with the part (like if you go into a dealership asking for SVT caliper brackets) you MIGHT avoid the price gouging that dealers like to do on anything SVT-related.

Case in point the CSVT throttle body gasket is DOUBLE the price of the EXACT SAME 3L Taurus gasket. Same part different price.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Just get the Wilwoods!

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard