Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I saw the recent post about front caliper ratainging clips, and I noticed that mine were on wrong on one side and missign from the other. I ordered a new set and put them on today, but my braking is horrible. I cleaned the caliper slide pins and installed the clips. After putting the clips on my brake pedal feels funny. It is very soft and goes in about half way before you feel any pressure. The brakes don't grab till you push more than halfway down. As soon as I remove the clips everything is back to normal.

Why are these clips making my braking worse. I changed the rotors and pads about a year ago and have been driving without clips. Here is my best theory. Maybe my brake pads are wearing at a funny angle because the clips weren't on. After putting the clips on the caliper is held on straight and the funny worn angle of the pads is not allowing them to make proper contact with the rotor. I dont know if this makes any sense. Help me out pelase!

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Because the clips were missing/installed incorrectly for so long, your pads have worn unevenly very badly. This is known as taper wear. You will need to replace your pads.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I think you are right. I'm sure that your pads have a funny wear pattern. It might correct itself with time once the pads once again conform to the rotors. I'm not sure if I would wait. It sounds like time for new pads.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
There is still a good amount of life left on the pads and the car is stopping fine. Can I wait until the pads wear down a little more. I don't want to spend much more money on this car until September.

Would this uneven wear also be what is causing my brakes to react slowly in heavy rain? My brakes dont work for about a second if I am driving in the rain.

I know I should search, but I have been hearing some mixed reviews about brake pads. I want low dust, good stopping power, and no more scary cant stop in the rain experiences. Any good recommendations? I hear a lot of great things about Stazi brakes, but I have also been told that they have a tendency to make grooves in rotors.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Usually poor response when wet is from crummy pads and if so will not improve as the brakes bed in.

The only way to tell if both problems will improve or go away as they bed in is to drive it and see. Only you can tell if it is worth the risk. The brakes are truly your main safety device.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard