Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Has anyone tried installing the Mustang Cobra 13" brakes on a Contour SVT? It's about $400 for the front brake kit, and it's the same thing as the Baer kit for the Contour except the brackets are different (I think). So if there were brackets then it would be a cheap alternative. The Baer dual-piston calipers are just PBR calipers that are relabeled.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
YOu would most likely have to have the brackets custom made. An alternative is to use the SVT Focus brakes, the rotors are 1 inch bigger than the CSVT brakes. The only mod needed to fit the FSVT brakes is a small 3mm spacer(i think, do a search) that goes on the caliper mounting bolts.

mj

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
They also have five bolt hubs so how do you plan on bolting the rotor to our four bolt hub.

1999 3.0L Cougar: 220fwhp and 200tq 2003 VW Passat W8 with 4 Motion AWD http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300644 PM for intrest in 3L SVT Contours, 3L swaps into your current car, Prepped 3L engines, or anything 3L related.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
The anchor brackets on the Baer PBR calipers are modified compared to the stock Cobra calipers, and there is also an intermediate bracket used. The rotors are Baer specific, and not the same as the Cobra rotors, IIRC. The euro Focus RS does use the same rotor blank as the Cobra though, and is drilled w/ the 4x108mm lug pattern and has the correct hub bore; however, I have no idea what the differences in offset would be.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
My thoughts:

If you want Cobra brakes, buy the damn BAER kit and you won't have to dick with cutoms brackets, rotors etc. That's why they made it.

When it comes to brakes, hodge-podging something together is a serious no-no. If your ghetto-rigged setup lets go, you're going either damge your car and/or yourself and/or someone elses car/person.

There's a line you cannot cross between safety and cost - no matter how good you think are.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Stazi:

There's a line you cannot cross between safety and cost - no matter how good you think are.

There are a couple people on here that I would trust to put together a decent parts bin brake setup; but they already have pretty tall credentials with designing brake systems.

Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
That's OK Brian, I am with Stazi on this one. Screw all the money in the world that you have if your brakes give out. If you end up 6 feet under, you won't get to spend it anyway.

Spend a bit more cash and do it right. My old motto, "Do it right, or don't do it at all"

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
That's OK Brian, I am with Stazi on this one. Screw all the money in the world that you have if your brakes give out. If you end up 6 feet under, you won't get to spend it anyway.

Spend a bit more cash and do it right. My old motto, "Do it right, or don't do it at all"

Never said I disagreed with stazi; only that the number of people on here that are for sure capable of doing it right is very small.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
My old motto, "Do it right, or don't do it at all"

What's the new motto?

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Alright I was just asking, let's not get your panties in a bunch here

The reason I asked is that a lot of mustang guys know that the Bear 13" dual piston brake kit which retails for $995 is the same thing as the Ford Cobra brake kit, which goes for $375. I don't have a Contour yet, but considering the SVT has smaller brakes than my 1994 Mustang GT did when it was stock, I don't think it will be that great at braking. The stock mustang brakes sucked. The 13-inch brakes were a night-and-day difference. Not to mention they looked awesome. Where can I get the Focus SVT brake kit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard