Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by 95UndersteerSleeper:
Pull out the thermostat and try a new one. Also, it could be that the guage is just off. Try using a thermometer to get the engine temp. I'd suggest getting another Zetec to compare to. Maybe let them both idle for the same amount of time, then put the thermometer on the valve cover, or soemthing.

For one, I dont' even know where the thermostat is at.

2, it was doing it before and the thermostat was replaced, and still never corrected the reading shown in the cluster.

So it was doing it, and still doing it after a new thermostat.

As I stated, the heat works fine, and the top hose gets warm. If you squeeze the hose you can feel fluid rushing through once you release it.

From doing the above, it lead me to believe that the thermostat wasn't at fault. It's opening and closing as it should.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Ok, I was skimming. Try checking the temperature. It sounds like the car is fine to me. My guess it the guage is just off.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by 95UndersteerSleeper:
Ok, I was skimming. Try checking the temperature. It sounds like the car is fine to me. My guess it the guage is just off.

It could be, but even if so, I'd like to get that corrected. For peace of mind, not to mention if we ever have to sell it, they will be fishy on seeing it sitting in almost red. lol

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Well, see if you can confirm it is the guage. If it is, then pull the needle off and put it back on where it should be! It could be the coolant temp sensor, I guess, but that would give you fan issues.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
The temperature sender can also affect the gauge. The sender is a totally different unit from the sensor. The sensor affects the fan, but the sender only affects the gauge. My sender died a few months ago (the gauge totally stopped working) and I installed a new sender. The gauge works now, but it reads quite a bit more than it used to read with the old sender. Now, it commonly stays on the L, whereas before with the original sender it read about R-M. I suppose the calibration on those must leave something to be desired.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Well, the local radiator shop said this cap can not be preasure tested.

However, I checked the temperature w/ a thermometer, and it was 185, and the reading was a little past "L".

Is 185 normal? What would cause the bum reading??

There is a sensor above the thermostat, and it has 2 wires. Is that the coolant temp sensor? Should I replace it??

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
185 is not too bad..
the SENSOR would control the fans coming on, etc.
as long as your fans are kicking on, etc, then the sensor would be fine.

the SENDER controls what the GUAGE says, and has nothing to do with the temp, if its bad...

ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Ray:
185 is not too bad..
the SENSOR would control the fans coming on, etc.
as long as your fans are kicking on, etc, then the sensor would be fine.

the SENDER controls what the GUAGE says, and has nothing to do with the temp, if its bad...

ray

Ray, so in all reality since my fans do kick on, and the temp reading is where it's at, and the gauge is still reading hella high...it should be the sender?

The sender should be near the thermostat, and is the sensor w/ only one wire leaving it.

Correct? Replace this sensor??

Thanks!!

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I, honestly, don't know where it is located on the zetec..

Though, the SENSOR is located on the driver's side of the engine, nestled right about where the hood prop rod is secured.

bentleywarren just stated that he replaced his sender, perhaps he'll mention where it was..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by bentleywarren:
The temperature sender can also affect the gauge. The sender is a totally different unit from the sensor. The sensor affects the fan, but the sender only affects the gauge. My sender died a few months ago (the gauge totally stopped working) and I installed a new sender. The gauge works now, but it reads quite a bit more than it used to read with the old sender. Now, it commonly stays on the L, whereas before with the original sender it read about R-M. I suppose the calibration on those must leave something to be desired.

Where about is this sender, and it does only have 1 wire right? Is it easy to get to, any tips??

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard