Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
The plenum over the TB (which I have been preaching on for over a year) is a very good idea.

Now wait...I thought you got rid of yours? I thought you were talking about maybe a different design...?

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
The plenum over the TB (which I have been preaching on for over a year) is a very good idea.
Glad to see others doing some creative moding, good job!
Need to give the engine bay a good cleaning.

What's the upside to retaining the plenum?

1998 Silver Frost LX C-27 Kit, 19x7.5 42 offset Gunmetal rims, 20% tint, engine mods to come shortly... "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I did ditch my stock plenum and I am in the process of designing a new one.
The stock one is not optimal because part of its design is to silence the intake.
But the stock one is better than not having one.

Simply put, the benefit of the plenum is that it allows a specific amount of air for the engine to suck in without having to pull it through the filter and through the intake tubing.

Its not so much a power thing, but will benefit throttle response.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
To add to SleeperZ's response...

It helps throttle response and idle smoothness. From what I've read, Ford couldn't make the intake manifold big enough. When you nail the throttle the engine tries to pull in as much air as possible to fill the cylinders. When you just have a 3" pipe mounted to the top of the throttle body, it doesn't hold enough air to completely fill the cylinders. With the plenum box, it adds a ton of volume to the intake. When you nail the throttle all of the air in the plenum is instantly sucked out. The engine doesn't have to pull it through a little 3" pipe. It has a big-ass 16"x8"x6" box full of air ready to go.

The idle smoothness comes from the plenum box softening the IAC valve's pulses. If you just have a small pipe the pulses go back through the intake piping to the MAF. The MAF senses the air going in reverse and it leans things out. All causing lumpy idle.

I hope that makes sense.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Fantastic...great info

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
So You have to remove the AC unit to fit your CAI?

'98 Contour Pacific Green(Modded) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676416 FS:'98-00 Contour front bumper.Brand new unused (Non-SVT)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
You don't have to remove the compressor, but you do have to remove the accumulator tank. Your AC won't work without it.

Performance is a [censored]!

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Can't argue with the plenum being in place. I believe the PCM also takes in account for the additional air being in the plenum for fuel injection computations. Even though the MAF hasn't metered the air that should be in there (assuming a CAI was in place), the computer might still have the additional air figured in that isn't there because the plenum is gone. How hard would it be to produce a bigger plenum that was more attractive looking? I can't justify $400 for a bunch of silicone either. I can get a 3"x12' aluminum pipe mandrel bent(same stuff they use on CAI manufacturing) until it looks like a pretzel for $100 including material . You can also buy a long tube intake for a focus shipped for under $50 off of ebay as well. Of course it won't just drop into the contour, but it is alot more cost effective and also gives you over 4 feet of tube with different bends in it to work with as well.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
What I'd love to have is a plenum made of aluminum that is made for the larger performance Focus throttle bodies. I've heard that the WRC Focus runs a plenum but I've never been able to find any pictures. (Unlike the stock Focus which has no plenum.)

BP

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The plenum needs to be on the intake manifold.
Every once in awhile a one-off intake manifold with a large plenum shows up on EBay.
Here's One.
Although, I've seen better.

Then theres the Ford Racing manifold.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard