Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Order rotors yesterday for the front from Advance Auto. They should have been into, but they only go one...It will be 2-3 days for the other rotor. I was told its on order from Virginia where it will be shipped to the Albany distro center and then to PA.

Why in the heck would you ship something 2 states up and then one state down? And another thing, why in the heck would you only hold 1 rotor in inventory? Does it not make sense to have 2 because usually cars have even pairs last time I checked...

Has anyone else had a problem like this? And its not that it will be a problem to wait the 2-3 days, but its the fact they got 1 in and had me pick it up, just to have to wait again to come back and get the other...

I'm sure I'll have a question once I get my rotor though lol

What is a good way to get the rotors off of the car? I'm sure they are seized on/rusted fast. Is it alright to use WB-40 near brake components?

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Having been a former employee of AAP, you'd be surprised of the amount of knuckleheads that only replace one rotor. Granted there are certain circumstances, but it has been done more than a few times.

As for the state question, just the way the distro center works. Its actually a pretty efficent system. There are screw ups with everything, and I've seen it happen more than a few times when things were ordered and didn't show up when they were suppose to. And yes, it is very irritating to get one and not the other. In a perfect world, they are to call you and tell you that your order is in, etc....

Tap the rotor with a hammer to see if it'll come off that way. WD-40 or PB bead plaster should help with the rust if it is indeed rusted on. Let it soak over night and then back to the hammer. If all else fails, BFH fixes everything.

Ryan Trollin!
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

Why in the heck would you ship something 2 states up and then one state down?

A little known fact is that EVERYTHING you ship through Fed Ex goes through their Memphis, TN hub. Yes even something you would ship to your neighbor! Obviously shipping routes don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Not according to a post by chrisilversvt

actually you are wrong about that...most pkgs. do go through memphis its the main hub........but there is also a pretty large hub in indianapolis,one in newark,and one in dallas...

and you are totally wrong about shipping something to your neighbor...packages going to the same city they are picked up from do NOT go through memphis...the same station that picked it up also delivers it,so it sits there overnight..

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
lol I know that is probably an efficeint method to have everything shipped into one place and then sent back out the right way. I just have to wait with patience for my other rotor...

but I did stop back in today to pick up a t-47 torque bit. I had the 7 MM allen and I was to lazy to take the tire off again to check... oh well I picked up a can of brake cleaner and WD-40. All prepared! haha just need to wait till saturday.

If I remember right, are you to clean the rotors with brake cleaner??? because aren't they coated with a rust preventive oil for storage? I could be way off with that, but I remember someone mentioning that somewhere.

Also what lube is used to grease the caliper? cause if it apart I might as well do that as well.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T

If I remember right, are you to clean the rotors with brake cleaner??? because aren't they coated with a rust preventive oil for storage?

Correct

Also what lube is used to grease the caliper? cause if it apart I might as well do that as well.

Caliper grease. .99 at your parts counter.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Sorry that was stupid question. I never have had to do brakes before, well better to made a fool now and not to grease them and have no brakes and look like an @$$ later!

thanks for the tip

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Having been a former employee of AAP, you'd be surprised of the amount of knuckleheads that only replace one rotor.

I only replaced one rotor on the miata. My drivers side rear caliper was sticking and scrapeing all thru an AutoX school so I got some cheap pads and 1 new rotor. I replaced the pads on that side and the rotor. I figured I would redo the whole braking system on it sometime this year but I still have not gotten around to it and those have been on there about 8-9 months now and see to be working fine.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
When I got 2 9005 Silverstars from AAPk they only had 1, and had to ship in another one. It was really fast though, I came in at 5pm and they had it ready when they opened at 7am the next morning.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Granted there are certain circumstances, but it has been done more than a few times.

Originally posted by moxnix:

I only replaced one rotor on the miata. My drivers side rear caliper was sticking and scrapeing all thru an AutoX school so I got some cheap pads and 1 new rotor. I replaced the pads on that side and the rotor. I figured I would redo the whole braking system on it sometime this year but I still have not gotten around to it and those have been on there about 8-9 months now and see to be working fine.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard