Next Thread
Print Thread
#1303809 06/13/05 05:15 AM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
I haven't been able to find instructions for replacing cabin air filter. I thought it was posted in this forum somewhere..anyone help find it. Thanks.

#1303810 06/13/05 05:40 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Well I don't have the how-to, but I'll give you quick instructions:

1. Turn your wipers on and make sure that they are sitting vertically rather than horizontal start position. -With them all the wya up, there is no need to take out the wiper arms. Unfortunately, I didn't know this until I dismantled the whole thing(30 mins) and realized this was a 5 min job! (saved a ton of time on mom's tour!)
2. There will be three or four plastic tabs on that plastic mold right below the wipers. Do not take out the tabs of the driver's side, rather the passenger's side (this is where the filter will be). To detach these tabs, use a flat screwdriver and pry them out. Then under the tabs are phillip screws with a plastic body. Take out both the screws and the plastic body which they are torqued in.
3. Open your hood and go back all the way to where the two plastic molds merge. There should be a screw there. Not sure what type of screw it is, but you can use a flat screwdriver to untorque it.
4. Keeping your hood open, try prying the passenger's side mold out. IT can be a bit difficult. Do not use any tools, just try to use some good old finger strength.
5. Once it comes loose, I detached it and pulled it off by titling it up @ the same angle of the windshield.
6. Under the plastic mold...voila....you'll see the cabin filter.
7. There was one tab on the left side (facing it), just depress that and pull the sucker out.
8. Nasty ain't it? Purchase your new filter wherever you choose. I think I got some Bosch filter (didn't even know Bosch made filters, go fig!). It was like 10-13 bucks or something
9. Put it in, and detach back in.
10. Reverse order of everything.
11. Have your respiratory tract buy you a beer!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
#1303811 06/13/05 06:24 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is a how to in the FAQ section, written by the late great Ray McNary. He is the one who first posted that it wasn't necessary to remove the wiper arms and pull both shrouds.

The factory manual does call for pulling the wiper arms off and pulling both shrouds. Once you have enough out of your way to see how everything fits, you may decide for yourself which is better. If you pull both shrouds, you have better access and it is easier to get them both reinstalled properly. If you just pull the right shroud you may or may not feel that you have adequate access and may have trouble fitting the shroud back into place.

If you do pull the wiper arms and both shrouds, you may have trouble getting the arms off from their splined shafts. On stubborn ones, I use a battery terminal puller. If I take the wiper arms off, I use a dab of anti-sieze when reinstalling to make it easier to remove next time.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1303812 06/13/05 11:46 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by jungloford:
I haven't been able to find instructions for replacing cabin air filter. I thought it was posted in this forum somewhere..anyone help find it. Thanks.

See this from MODS section of main site.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1303813 06/13/05 06:45 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D

I replaced mine recently for only the second time in 140,000 miles (yeah I know, I let non-essential stuff slide sometimes.) It was VERY dirty, and I've noticed my interior gets less dusty now.

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
#1303814 06/14/06 05:48 AM
Z
Z
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Well I don't have the how-to, but I'll give you quick instructions:

These instructions REALLY helped me out (still took a newb like me about 20 minutes). I also had the official HowTo printed out but the directions in this post made the most sense to me. I have a 1999 Contour SE and some things might have been a little different. I ended up getting the Bosch filter P3610 from Autozone for $16.99. Here are some things I noticed (in regards to the steps listed by ancientsanskrit) that might help someone else out:

Step 2: I took out the 2 tabs/screws/plastic bodies on the plastic molds of the passenger side. On the plastic mold on the driver side, I removed the tab/screw/plastic body that was closest to the middle of the car. This helped me remove the passenger side plastic mold in Steps 4,5

Step 3: I found the screw/washer mentioned. I used a Torx T25 bit to remove the screw/washer. I also had to remove a similar screw/washer way over on the passenger side of the mold.

Step 3.5: You'll have to remove (lift up) a foam like material at the base of the plastic molds that spans the width of the car.

Step 7: I had tabs on both the left and right side that I had to pull out of the way

Step 7.5: You'll end up pulling out a plastic piece that kind of encases the filter.

It's pretty nasty that I didn't change the cabin air filter until 108k. It's good to know that I'll be breathing fresher air tomorrow.

#1303815 06/14/06 01:57 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
If you bought a Bosch cabin air filter, the instructions come with it. BTW, Big Jim has determined that the Bosch cabin air filter has a same part number as the Ford cabin air filter (made by Micronair?)

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Link Copied to Clipboard