#1302922 06/11/05 11:55 PM
V
volcar Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Hi Folks,
I have been having a strange problem with my 2.0L Zetec ââ?¬Ë?Tour & consequently I am using this forum in the hope that someone has experienced the same problem in the past & had it corrected & therefore will be able to assist me in correcting the problem the nature of which is as follows.
Whenever I sit in traffic for any extended period of time my idle speed will increase from the normal 600 rpm to approximately 1000-1200 rpm & the longer the time in traffic the higher the rpm gets. However, if I switch the vehicle off & restarts it the throttle will revert to the 600 rpm range but in the last couple of days the switching off & restarting no longer makes a difference. It should be noted that I do not have a CEL & otherwise the vehicle runs fine. The usual assistance will be greatly appreciated has I am at my wit�s end & the vehicle is very difficult to drive with this problem.
Regards

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The IAC valve needs to be removed, cleaned, and lubricated.
The IAC causes most idle problems. I would start with the IAC (Idle air control Valve ) first. It could also be caused by other things, but I would start with that first. I dont know if the Zetech has the throttle hang problems or not...maybe someone else can chime in.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
It could be IAC but try something really simple first. Disconnect the connector from the A/C pressure sensor. This is the one sitting on the refrigerant line just below the coolant tank. See if the problem goes away.

It worked for me. My sensor was sending wrong information to the computer and it increased the speed anticipating higher load. After I replaced the sensor the idle returned to normal.

V
volcar Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Thanks for the input I find it very useful as usual. However, one the subject of cleaning the IAC valve what is the recommended method to use I am concerned about cleaning it especially in light of the fact that all I have read in repair manuals indicates that it should not be cleaned.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by volcar:
Thanks for the input I find it very useful as usual. However, one the subject of cleaning the IAC valve what is the recommended method to use I am concerned about cleaning it especially in light of the fact that all I have read in repair manuals indicates that it should not be cleaned.

If you are really worried, replace it. They aren't very expensive.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Never mind about what they say about cleaning it....The plunger of the IAC gets gummed up with carbon deposits and the it starts sticking. A good spray to the plunger area with you thumb over the opening and shake it around, and try a small tooth brush or cue tip to clean up the carbon.Then just give it a slight spray of lubricant to help it move more freely. Carb cleaner works well, and usually the problem is solved with a cleaning....if that fails to produce any results, then you lost nothing. It will not harm the IAC in any way by attempting to clean it.

V
volcar Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Thanks a million for the info. folks I will attempt the cleaning of the IAC & let you all know of the outcome.
Regards,

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard