Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1302590 06/11/05 06:48 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Was out at the junkyard today and picked up a non-SVT UIM for 10 bucks. I'm planning on porting the holes larger myself, but I'm not sure on how far to go. Talking with my cousin he said the best way to go is to gasket match the manifold for best air flow. I did a little searching but couldn't come up with exact numbers on how big they should be ported. And I don't have the money to pay $$$ to have it done. So if anyone could chime in the knowledge would be appreciated.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Your cousin is right. Gasket matching is a tried-and-true method that guys have been using for 50 years. Put a gasket on the surface, scribe a line to port to with the gasket as a stencil, and take out no more that that. Look at it this way- even if you took out more, if you used the same gasket, the flow would still be limited to the size of the gasket.

-BigC

There's a difference between a Euro and a Ricer... Don't cross the line... Anything-Goes C.C. Co-Founder
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
this is good advise, follow it. unfortunately with the design of our upper intake manifolds without cutting and rewelding(ouch!) they cannot be fully ported with dremel tools, only Extrude Honed. this is what i know, others will probobly chime in.

2002 Cougar 2.5 duratec/ mtx-75 85,0000 Mondeo ST-200 wheels/BFG KDW NT black/black Spec Stage 1 Torsen T-2 Trubendz 2.5 flowmaster dual exaust apexi s-afc II K&N FIPK
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Bad advice of every account and every statement thus far.

The UIM to LIM gasket is FAR LARGER then the ports on the LIM. Even a RLIM.

Gasket matching would be the epitome of STUPID because it would cause the LIM to lip into the airflow and the poorly ported UIM.
The LIM inlet port should be a hair larger then the UIM outlet port.

Also for that matter ON ANY VEHICLE gasket matching by itself is a joke. Matching the opposing port size is what you want to do. Matching to the gasket is pointless as it usually RUINS the flow and symmetry of the port shapes. PERIOD!

~~~

Also to answer the main question even though it's been answered 100 times already.

You are NOT going to make any real difference honing out the UIM. The UIM does not allow for the ability to accurate and completely enlarge the ports. This is why the Extrude Hone process was & is used on the manifold to increase it's volume, flow ability, and to make they flow ability uniform across each respective port.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Also for that matter ON ANY VEHICLE gasket matching by itself is a joke. Matching the opposing port size is what you want to do. Matching to the gasket is pointless as it usually RUINS the flow and symmetry of the port shapes. PERIOD!

WRONG!
Every serious engine builder IN HISTORY has stood by gasket matching in relation to engine porting. The late and great Smokey Yunick believed in it. Every hot rod/musclecar magazine ever published has believed in this method (and proved the gains via dyno testing!). I attended a racing engine class taught by Reher Morrison (the engine builders!), and that was one of the things that they explained was pertinent to a strong engine.

Perhaps the UIM on a Contour should not be ported, but to say that "gasket-matching on an engine is a joke" is completely IGNORANT. Often, the extra material (especially on exhaust gaskets) that SHOULD be the same size of the gasket leads to damage of gaskets and loss of power.

I have my own shop, I build racing engines, and I am a tool and die journeyman by trade. A MACHINIST! I have used this metod for years on our cars, boats, and tractors.

There's a difference between a Euro and a Ricer... Don't cross the line... Anything-Goes C.C. Co-Founder
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I think what demon ment is that if I gasket match the UIM it will fudge up because the LIM with be much smaller thus creating a major retard in the air flow.

I was thinking about what demon said and I was wondering what if I port the primary larger on both the UIM and the LIM. Or would this still not have any effect???

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Every case may be different. I have port matched many engines by matching the gaskets, but others I have done differently because it was obvious that the results would not be beneficial. You really need to critically inspect the pieces involved to make a determination. I have not tried to do so with the Duratec.

I believe that porting the intake by cutting it open for access then welding it shut when finished is doable, but the skill needed to port such long ports as well as the hassle and expense of properly welding everything back when finished is beyond the level of most nearly any entry level hot rodder. I have helped do it on a Ford 302 but it was so much work that I would not likely do it again. It really did wake up the 92 Thunderbird we did it to though. The Mustang manifold would not fit under the hood and the Thunderbird manifold was very restrictive before we started.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
hmm I need to do some thinking on this and I come up with something tomorrow because I worked 12 hours today and i'm beat. oh and i'm off to work for 6 in the morning. So we can fight this out tomorrow guys lol

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by BigC:
WRONG!
Every serious engine builder IN HISTORY has stood by gasket matching in relation to engine porting.

Perhaps the UIM on a Contour should not be ported, but to say that "gasket-matching on an engine is a joke" is completely IGNORANT.

It is plainly obvious you have no idea about any of the measurements of the parts you are talking about.

Split Port UIM (2000 SVT)
Primary: 30.5mm
Secondary: 31.8mm

Split Port UIM Gasket
Primary: 35mm
Secondary: 36.4mm

So you want to significantly widen the port and slow down the intake charge to match it to the gasket that is 5mm larger.

LIM (Returnless)
>Inlet
Primary: 33.5mm
Secondary: 34.7mm
>Outlet
Primary: 32.5mm (Mine ΓΆβ?¬β?? 33mm)
Secondary: 34mm (Mine ΓΆβ?¬β?? 34mm)

LIM Gasket
Primary: 34.7mm
Secondary: 35mm

Now you want to do the same things again!

Cylinder Head Inlet Ports (with flashing cleaned - untouched are smaller)
2000 SVT 2.5L Primary: 33mm
2000 SVT 2.5L Secondary: 34mm

So that's small, huge, medium, large, medium. 5 changes up & down in port size. Not a very good idea at all for obvious reasons.
This is all on SVT parts. Stock parts would have a much greater size differential at each step.

Larger is not always better. Actually most of the time it is not because maximum port flow ability is just one small part of the whole picture. Velocity, taper, and cylinder filling are far bigger parts of the design of the manifold system.

Saying "CUT AND DRY" that gasket matching the port is the best thing you can do and you "SHOULD ALWAYS" do it to every engine is completely wrong. PERIOD.
Matter of fact there have been countless dynos over the years (flip through any of those same decent books or magazine series) that shows gasket matching makes little to no difference in the overall power curve. In some cases it hurts power because the intake charge is slowed down and energy is lost. We have one of the extremes of the later.

So yes the term "gasket matching" is a joke when it's thrown around like most people use it. Like you used it in this example.
The port as a whole is what is important. Enlarging it to match the gasket when it alters the design & flow of the port is bad and will always be bad.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I already mentioned that I didn't know much about the Contour/Duratec. My argument was not about the Contour. Great information regardless.

More often than not, gasket-matching is glorified by its gains. It would not be listed in and explained by such large publications if it was such a "joke." Your speculations are just that- speculations. Your opinion is noted, and I'll stand by a method I have always been satisfied with. The struggle for extra power in a motor by car enthusiasts has led to lots of modifications that many view as frivolous. This modification has proven time and again to add horsepower and improve airflow on vehicles.

I never said that you "should always do it to every engine" either. You said, "Enlarging it to match the gasket when it alters the design & flow of the port is bad and will always be bad." That is one of the least intelligent statements I have ever read. It is common sense! Rough castings often restrict flow, and cause excessive amounts of pressure and resistance. By smoothing out said castings, better flow and increased velocity OFTEN result in HP gains. This is true often in intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds/ports, cylinder head ports, and even rough oil passages. Ever notice why aftermarket components such as these (aftermarket cylinder heads come to mind) often come with machined/polished/bigger surfaces/ports?

I can understand your arguments, but to say that this is a waste of time is a stupid comment. This porting and polishing by itself may not add huge HP gains, but the increased flow supplements other parts of the motor, and combined with bigger modifications, can make major differences in power. That's why people do it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard