Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
infratl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I
so, i've made some driving experiments concerning the topic. when coming to a full stop i used to stay in gear until rpms dropped to 1000, then i'd take it out of gear and complete the full stop. then i decided for a while to take it out of gear as soon as i started slowing down to come to a full stop. i did that thinking gas mileage would improve at least a little, but what i observed was the opposite. coasting actually made my gas mileage worse. i also coasted on down hills.

my present conclusion is that coasting burns more gas than leaving it in gear when coming to a full stop. i think the throttle hang has a lot to do with it but i also think the SVT, which is what i drive, burns a lot of gas when idling. it seems to me that it burns more than it should when idling.

what are y'all's thoughts on this?

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
My thought is, that you can't base your gas mileage on your decel habits. You could have done a lot more highway driving with your "staying in gear" tests, and more city driving with your "coasting" tests.

I personally let the engine help with the braking, and don't move to neutral until about 1500rpms.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
When I'm preparing to stop I always go into neutral. It's illegal and unsafe, but I do it anyway.

I don't like engine braking as well considering the fragility of the tranny. I'd rather change the brake than overhaul transmission.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ODC:
When I'm preparing to stop I always go into neutral. It's illegal and unsafe, but I do it anyway.

I don't like engine braking as well considering the fragility of the tranny. I'd rather change the brake than overhaul transmission.

there was a thread about this before, somewhere around here

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I do both, depending on traffic and other conditions. I often knock it out of gear when slowing to a stop, but not usually until I'm traveling under about 40 mph. I would guess that I kick it out of gear about half the time or a little more. My brakes still last a long time. I don't think it makes any significant difference in fuel consumption.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
i do whatever the atx makes me do

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
When I started driving, I never knew people actually did this until I was with someone who did it off the highway. I personally come from the downshifting school of thought.

Several reasons:
1) You're in control of 100% of your car 100% off the time.
2) You're in the appropriate gear if you need to start moving again (rather then having to figure out which gear you need to be in)
3) If you need to make an evasive maneuver in the process, you can (refer to point #1).

Everyone has their own habits. I usually shift into neutral right around 10mph or when the car comes to a complete stop.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm with Big Jim when I'm driving a stick. However, my dad is of the sail114 variety (in a different sense). He coasts to a stop, but while doing so runs through all the gears without taking the clutch off. Drives me nuts, but it's probably a better method than just coasting with gear in 5th ... to each his own

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by 98 SE:
I'm with Big Jim when I'm driving a stick. However, my dad is of the sail114 variety (in a different sense). He coasts to a stop, but while doing so runs through all the gears without taking the clutch off. Drives me nuts, but it's probably a better method than just coasting with gear in 5th ... to each his own

I go down through the gears when I come to a stop also, something my father did and I ended up doing also

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Driving must be one of those mimicry exercises: We end up doing things the way we saw them being done or were taught. Dad always rowed through the gears on the way to a stop, Mom downshifts and lets the car do the stopping. I have a mix of the two.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard