Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Well i just discovered that one of my power steering lines has been rubbing on a halfshaft since we put the new trans in. Now it obviously has a hole, because it leaking everywhere.

1) best suggestion on getting it home.

I can zip tie the line to the subframe and keep it off the halfshaft. I live like 15 min from here str8 highway shot. Just fill er up with fluid and go??

2) patching the line.

There is no way im going to replace this line, unless its the only answer. Any patch kits?? i wonder what pressure the power steering system builds

any suggestions would be awesome

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Small hole? A piece of a tire tube or rubber hose & a hose clamp should do fine for a temporary fix. But do definately get that hose replaced or have a new hose put onto the fittings.

A place here in West Palm put new hose on my BMW tranny line fittings. The lines would have cost nearly $200 each at the dealer. Got new hose put on the existing fittings in 10 minutes for $10. I sent them the biggest, best pizza I could find for lunch too.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
yeah i was thinking about sticking a section of hose on it and some clamps.. and i will definately look into getting the cheaper solution.. so you ran a hose not a metal line?? that would be better. could move it around some stuff better.

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If it is the pressure line, a patch won't do. If it is the return line, then patching it up should be fine.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
You can cut the part of the metal hose that is damage ( let's say 3-4inches) and replace this section with a rubber hose and a clamp at each sides.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
.......... i wonder what pressure the power steering system builds

any suggestions would be awesome

Well I remember read about power steering pressure going up to 1,000 psi , definitely not something a simple patch can handle if you're really subject to this pressure. I hope it's a return line that's in your case.

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
It power steering fluid hits a hot manifold or cat it will likely start a fire. The safest thing to do is have it towed and replace the line.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by mercman:
It power steering fluid hits a hot manifold or cat it will likely start a fire. The safest thing to do is have it towed and replace the line.

jeff

Yes....Exactly...

My wife's 89 Honda Accord had a PS leak at the front of the engine, and it was constantly leaking onto the manifold...Smoking, the whole bit...

Anyway, her dad refused to fix it (this was before we were married) and one day it caught on fire. Ended up costing nearly 2k versus the 200 that it would have cost...

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I ended up cutting a the bad section out and putting a hose in. Worked to get it home, so I'm pretty sure its a return line. I'm going to try and find somebody parting out an SVT for a new hose. Depending on prices, i might just try and fix it myself.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard