Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Has anyone bought a set of aftermarket cams for the Zetec and installed them? Thoughts about them and pros/cons? What manufacturer were they?

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
i used stage 2 comp cams for ford focus, they fit onto the mondeo zetec fine and give it more power at higher revs (and sounds amazing)

also theres ford racing cams, or crower cams you could get

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Pre98 Zetecs have hydraulic lifters.
So unless you want to swap over alot of the valvetrain,
your options are limited.
Luckily one of the best cam manufacturers (Weber) makes a very nice set of either high HP or high TQ cams.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
so what cams are available for pre98 zetecs?

i know there are web cams (at $289 a piece ) and supposedly Kent cams? is that it?

Last edited by ZetecNinja; 06/09/05 07:07 PM.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by evocontour:
Has anyone bought a set of aftermarket cams for the Zetec and installed them? Thoughts about them and pros/cons? What manufacturer were they?

.........okay henry what do you have planned????

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Kent and Weber are pretty much it.
Either Comp or Crane made one set of cams for pre98 Zetecs,
but I haven't seen them in awhile.
Weber high TQ cams are what I will be going with.
If using nitrous, I wouldn't go pass stage 2 of anything.
And really, stage 1 just to be safe.
Our engines are not meant for nitrous.

Another option is to get a Focus head,
build it up,
then swap it on.
That way you'll have mechanical lifters and a much larger selection of cams.
Mechanical = better than hydraulic for high RPMs.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
These are the ones I want.

Will work good with boost.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
Kent and Weber are pretty much it.
Either Comp or Crane made one set of cams for pre98 Zetecs,
but I haven't seen them in awhile.
Weber high TQ cams are what I will be going with.
If using nitrous, I wouldn't go pass stage 2 of anything.
And really, stage 1 just to be safe.
Our engines are not meant for nitrous.

Another option is to get a Focus head,
build it up,
then swap it on.
That way you'll have mechanical lifters and a much larger selection of cams.
Mechanical = better than hydraulic for high RPMs.

why are stage 2's bad for nitrous?

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Might cause detonation due to valve timing.
Will need to retard ignition timing to make up for it, which leads to less performance.
Plus, with cams you effectively lower the dynamic compression of the engine, which again leads to less performance.
So you'll want to run a lower HP shot, for safety.

I can't explain it 100% clear, because I'm not 100% clear on it.
But I got the basic idea.

Just remember, our engines are very, very sensetive to nitrous.

E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Hey Chris,
I am just seeing if we can get people that have done perfomance mods for the zetec (even if they post on focus sites) to post here. Besides, I didn't see anything listed on here about any such info. I already have a set of comp cams in my ride and found them to be VERY beneficial in making power. With my automatic they don't really get along, (wants to idle higher, feels like it wants to stall) but I am going to be swapping out for another combination in a few weeks. They definitely have a nice growl at cruise speeds though. I just wanted to say that I *JUST* swapped out my head for a 2000 focus piece (not ported, the ports looked a bit bigger on the 95' piece). It had the same lifter buckets in it as my production 95' head. Now I did have a 98' with the VCT on it apart and it had a different set of lifter buckets in it than my 95' head. Any clues? I know that when you pull the cams it is reccommended that you replace the lifters/buckets as well, Is there any specfic year that is better than the others?

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard