Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BenS Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Well It was my intention to only change up the rear brakes, but I started with the front pads and after installing them I get almost no brake I'll come to a stop but it's not solid like it was before the install of the pads.

My questions is can the differenece in the new pads vs. the worn out rears brakes cause this?

-Black '96 GL 160k -Car #30953
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Tell us more about what the brakes are acting like. Did you lose pedal so that the pedal is lower than before or must be pumped to stop? Is the pedal about the same, but stopping ability is much less than before? Please be a bit more specific and maybe we can help.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
BenS Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
The pedal was bringing me to a full stop about 1/2, 3/4 pushing it down before we changed the pads. Then after the install I'd have to push the pedal to the floor with less and they give little reaction. I would feel safe driving my car atm 60+ mph and trying to come to a stop.

It's weird I went out to do a few "runs" for my job today and during one of my stop I got back in the car sped off and came to a stop and was surprised to find my brake was back to normal.

Now the front Drivers side brake sounds like it's sticking, It's making a whirling noise as I accelerate from a dead stop (like the brake is releasing as I drive off).

(shrug who knows?)

-Black '96 GL 160k -Car #30953
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
New pads do not work as well until they conform to the rotors. This is called "bedding in". This is worse if the rotors are not machined. You may have been experiencing a normal condition.

I also suspect that either the rotors should have been machined (they usually should) and are slightly dished so that an edge of the pad still drags more than normal causing your noise. It is also very likey that the caliper slide pins are sticking and binding. They sould always be cleaned, checked for wear, and lubricated every time the pads are replaced. It is also important to lube the pad backing plate at every point it touches the caliper, especially the edges. Any of this can keep the pad from fully retracting and making noise.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Jim beat me to it - but yes, putting new pads on old unturned rotors will basically give you WORSE braking than before. This is a really BAD move. Either turn the rotors (if there is even enough meat left on them) or install new rotors. I prefer the second option becuase turnig down rotors is just asking for problems because as you make the rotors thinner, it loses it's ability to absorb heat and dissipate it also, which leads to fade and warping of the rotors.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard