Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Ray:
The drain plug is on the bottom.. the fill is on the side.

LOOSEN fill (make sure it WILL loosen)
remove drain, as stated.. drain it.
replace drain plug.
remove fill plug and fill until fluid begins to spill out of the fill plug. (technically the procedure calls for 0.5mm below the fill bore)

The inconsistencies in this how-to are due to gross negligence on my part, and a (seemingly blatant) inability to cope without sleep.

Apologies to all.

Ray

thanks for clearing it up, no apology necessary, its a great how-to

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
O
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
O
I have a quick question... why did you point out the clutch bleeder in the pictures? is there something that I supposed to do with that?

1999 SVT Contour Magnaflow Dual Exhaust KKM High Flow Intake
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Thats just an FYI for realative location of the plug. You don't need to do anything with the clutch bleeder, but if you allready know where it was and you couldn't find the tranny plug, that picture would help you find it

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
exactly.. that picture was a relative picture, and its been floating around here for a LONG time. I happened to use it, as it helps in describing the location.

As with ALL my how-tos.. I state: Follow the DIRECTIONS to a "t" and you will have no problems, regardless of whether or not a picture "makes sense".. I commonly tear apart my car to illustrate a howto without an actual need to do the procedire, so I may visually skip a step that I tell people to do.

"do as I say, not as I do" type of thing.. LOL

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

O
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
O
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

1999 SVT Contour Magnaflow Dual Exhaust KKM High Flow Intake
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Ray:
"do as I say, not as I do"

Unless you say to leave the drain plug off, right? You should probably fix the FAQ and delete all these posts to clarify the issue. I did it for you, since you're overworked here as it is:

Drain Procedure:
  • Raise and support the vehicle. DO NOT WORK UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE WITHOUT SOME MEANS OF SUPPORT (other than the jack itself). Jacks are not meant to SUPPORT the weight, only to lift it temporarily.. Failure to heed this warning could result in SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH.
  • Locate the MTX FILL plug. We want to find the fill plug first, even though it is full (for now). Using either the 8mm allen wrench, or the T50 torx bit, we need to loosen the plug just to make sure it WILL loosen. It would really suck to drain your tranny, then find out you can't put more in!
    The fill plug is located on the forward edge of the tranny as noted in this picture.

You can make out the waterpump pulley on the upper left of the picture, for reference. It is underneath the front bumper, just to the rear of the lower splash shield.
  • re-tighten the fill plug (just so no dirt gets in there, though you shouldn't have taken it OUT.. just break it loose.
  • Locate the drain plug. It is located on the passenger side of the lowest part of the tranny. You can get a better overall understanding of it (and the entire process) by looking at this picture (source unknown)

• Place your drain pan underneath the drain plug, and loosen the drain plug, draining whatever you can from the transaxle. Be sure you replace the drain plug!
  • completely remove the FILL plug, now.
  • Using the pump, begin adding your fresh fluids to the MTX. This is a "fill-till-spill" process, so add fluid until you have reached the fill plug's opening, and begin to lose fluid.
  • replace fill plug
  • lower the vehicle
  • dispose of old fluid according to locally enforced laws.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
That's what the post below it stating the correction was for.. how many people who DON'T know how to change the fluid (hence reading the how-to) aren't going to read the other posts below (perhaps containing other tips, etc)??

I appreciate the effort, but the reason we avoid that sort of thing would be for posterity. Simply deleting responses that don't "work", line up well, or sound right, isn't an option.

Should I simply delete your post, as well, because it doesn't "look good" beneath the how-to we wrote in the first place?

If a mistake is made, then it is far better to leave it, and also include the FIX, rather than only provide the correct way. This way, if someone makes the SAME mistake, they can find the FIX for it, and not just a bunch of posts on how to do it properly the first time.

(granted, this particular issue is a text issue and not a PART issue, but the principle is the same)

and...

I'm in no way overworked, but thanks for assuming I cannot handle any workload I volunteered for.

Ray

Last edited by Ray; 06/30/05 08:58 PM.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If you have only the front up on jackstands, should you lower it before adding the liquid? Otherwise you change the point of the fill plug in reference to the center of the tranny, and you increase the amount of liquid in there. But does it matter? Is it better to have more fluid?

1999 SVT, Tropic Green No mods yet www.cardomain.com/id/stadtsoldat
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I fill with the front up on ramps, but I leave the plug out and lower the car and allow it to spill if it will and then reinstall the plug.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
If you lower the car, how do you squeeze back under there to put the plug back in? I've done this how to before (and it is FANTASTIC Ray!!), but I don't see how it is possible to do this. Putting the front on ramps, drain it, jack the rear up and set the rear on jackstands so that the car is reletivly level, then fill it. That is how I have always done it.

..Just a note for Ray, every How TO that you have done, I have printed up, laminated, and stuck in a 3 ring binder. I appreciate all of them, makes life so much easier and keeps me organized. When I want to do a UIM/LIM rebuild, change the fuel filter, change the trans fluid, etc.. I just whip out my book, turn to that section, and bam.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard