Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1294159 06/02/05 11:59 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Well after 9 months I've worn out the pads that came on my tour. So now its time for something new. Every one talks about the front brakes but I'd like to know about the rear! I have 98 SE with the 9 inch drum(pretty sure 9 inch, I'll check on that). But shoes do people put on the back? I know its front bias by alot but the rear break it just as important! haha I'm looking at the Bendix shoes from Advanced but not sure what to get as there really isn't info on them...So someone much wiser can chime in at this time!

I'm looking at getting Bendix D648CT Brake Pads: CT-3 (ceramic pads) for the front, Bendix MKD801 Brake Pads: TitaniuMetallic, or the Bendix Titaniums(are these same as the Titaniumetallic??), I PMed Stazi about price and such. I'm not sure of the difference on these if someone could let me know some info it would be much appricated as well.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I don't know where you got the 801 part number from as it's not correct.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
The number is from Advance Auto website...

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
The number is from Advance Auto website...

Figures..

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
oh 801 isn't the wrong number, 801 is with sensor and Bendix MKD648 is without sensor.

Edit:

wait do I need a sensor with the pads??? Now i'm getting myself confused Why do some have and other have not sensors? Forgive me lord i'm stupid!

Edit again:

Some times I think we're all just a bunch of ants on god's ant farm. haha Stazi is right(of course hahaha) Cougars have brake wear sensors, Contours do not. Well not its on the forums because I searched and couldn't find anything on it.

Stazi = Da man who puts up with slow people(me)

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Contours don't use brake wear sensors. Some Mondeos and Cougars do. The wear sensor is a coil of wire with an electrical connection that ties into a brake wear light on the dash (or upper consol) to tell you that the brake pads are worn. The light is triggered when the wire in the brake pads wears through interupting the circuit.

Contours do not have the rest of the system to support the brake wear sensors. The pads are otherwise interchangable so the wear sensor pads can be used. You would probably want to clip off the sensor wiring that dangles off the pad though. If the pads with sensors cost more (they often do) then you would want to avoid them.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I ordered and pickup(yes in one day, new track record) a set of the Bendix TitaniumMetallic pads. I ordered them from advanced auto and they actually had a delivery coming in this afternoon so it took all of 5 hours to get them. So tomorrow I need to go find a 7mm allen wrench socket and then I can change my brakes. oh and the price $34.95. very affordable. I'm sure they'll be better then what I have now, but I'll find that out tomorrow.

If anyone wants to give me a heads up on anything that is easily broken when changing the front pads a goods heads up would be nice. I read the how-to and I have the haynes manual. Seems pretty easy. Let you know how it turns out.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Instead of making a new post I just brought up this one. I went to do my pads this morning and I found what the problem is. The rotor on the passenger side has a feelable(with finger, poor terminology I know) wave worn into it. The driver side isn't as bad, but the inside is worn just about the same. So I guess its off to buy new rotors...

Here's the question:
Should I even bother getting the rotors redone or should I buy a new set and just get it the hell over with?

And I have a question on the Raybestos Rotors(sold at Advance) They have regular Raybestos and then a Raybestos Aimco-Gs...Whats the difference in these rotors? Or should I opt for the much more expensive Bendix Rotors to match the TitaniumMetallic pads? Looking for some opinions on this one as well, preferrable someone thats used them and how they wore/are wearing.

Thanks!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If you are saying that one of the rotors has deep score marks then it most certainly beyond saving by machining.

I personally have had good luck with Raybestos rotors in the past with many different cars. I would avoid the Raymold rotors though unless price is critical and you would not be keeping the car. Bendix makes excellent rotors. In my mind it would be a toss up between Raybestos and Bendix with Bendix having a very slight edge. I'm not familiar with Rabestos -- Amico. Amico, as far as I know, is still a different brand. I suspect that the parts store changed over from Amico to Raybestos and that they have been relabeled to show the Raybestos part number to make it easier to keep track of the inventory. Overall, I don't have a favorable impression about Amico, but no hard fast facts to back it up.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Or, if for some reason you are talking about warpage, getting them turned won't fix the problem as it will come back.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard