Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DDV Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Well, I spent the entire day yesterday and 3 hours this morning, installing the MSDS headers on my SVT. Lots of little problems along the way, besides all the hard-to-get-to bolts and nuts. One nut holding the exhaust manifold to the y-pipe wouldn't come off because it was round and no socket would get a grip on it. I ended up having to chisel it off. I must have spent about an hour and a half on just the upper right bolt on the rear manifold, taking it off. Then, when I was installing the header, I dropped one of the nuts and it took me about an hour to find it!

All in all, a very difficult install, but it'll be worth it. Still haven't gone for a drive, but I'm getting ready to do that.

The instructions that came with the headers were very helpful, as was the tutorial on CEG.

Didn't draw any blood, but I have lots of scrapes and bruises on my hands and arms.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Congrats on having the nerve to do it! That's one that I wouldn't tackle. Stazi, Todd, and Mike did mine and it still took several hours.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
but im guessing that its well worth it tho

1997 Contour LX (With 2.5L V6 Duratech)
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
congrats on the install! it is definitely not an easy one, but you are better off for attempting it yourself if you have the nerve, tools, and ability.

i hear you about the dropped nut. i did the same thing and it took me 45 or so with a magnet to find it on top of the subframe. it got tucked outta sight pretty good.

have fun with the new powa!

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
D
DDV Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Yes, I have the nerve, tools, and ability. I just hadn't done something like that in a LONG time!

My Dad was an aircraft mechanic, so my brother and I grew up fixing just about everything. My first car was a 1969 Camaro, which I rebuilt the engine on and did all the maintenance on. I worked on each car I've owned since then.

The most difficult part of the header install on the SVT is the lack of space. I had to jam my arm in a couple of places and then maneuver it from there (loosening/tightening a nut or bolt).

If you like doing 15 hour abs, this job is for you!

The performance is very noticable and the growl is definitely louder! I'm considering installing a different resonator to quiet it down a little. The Bosal resonator and exhaust are pretty loud.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by DDV:
Then, when I was installing the header, I dropped one of the nuts and it took me about an hour to find it!

Congrats.

Although I am required to make jokes about your nuts finally dropping from now on.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
D
DDV Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Let's not get personal!

You gonna make it to the next meet? Better bring some ear protection--this puppy is LOUD!

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
My Dad was an aircraft mechanic, so my brother and I grew up fixing just about everything. My first car was a 1969 Camaro, which I rebuilt the engine on and did all the maintenance on. I worked on each car I've owned since then.

so can you tell me how to fix this blinking o/d light?

1997 Contour LX (With 2.5L V6 Duratech)
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by anthonys_ford:

so can you tell me how to fix this blinking o/d light?

Whens the last time you had the tranny serviced? Oh and David I found a guy closeby here at a Shell that did my trans fluid for me for cheap. I sat there and watched every step though. Oh and my Bassani shipped out yesterday.
-tropictour

Last edited by tropictour; 06/02/05 11:57 AM.

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard