Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by vudusvt:
Sorry if OT- Tom, you've got to post some pics of your T5. I was trying to talk my GF into getting one, but she opted for an '04 non-T5 (not sure of the trim level).

What do you think of the HP/aftermarket potential for that motor? Word is that the current gen Euro-Focus has it as an option

We can take it to PMs, if need be.

Well, it is dirty right now and needs a bath. I'll probably go wash both the SVT and the S40 in a little while!
I'll see what I can do to get some pics pretty soon.
BTW, yes it is the same basic platform as the Mazda3 (which is a nice car in its own right) but Volvo does all kinds of extras for safety and convenience above the Mazda3.
You should just see the stock brakes! Compare a Mazda3 side by side with a volvo S40 is like looking at a Contour SE next to an SVT. There are so many subtle clues of bigger/better hardware.

I love the car so far. I pulled 29 MPG on my road trip up to Maryland with full trunk of luggage and the the whole family. That is two adults, two pre-teens, and one baby. Yes with all 5 of us it was a bit tight in the back...due to the carseat but it has about the same interior room as a tour. Trunk is smaller though because I have the AWD.
The AWD with the 6 speed is just awesome!
I can really launch this car in ways I can just barely match in the 'tour.
The turbo motor has gobs of torque! I love the motor...for a stock motor that is.
The turbo motor comes with Forged crank and Rods. It also comes with special alloy rod bearings where the 2.4i comes with the same standard Al bearings like the contour has and no forged rods. No variable valve timing either like the bigger T5.
My only complaint is that the factory cuts boost about 6K rpm and the power really drops off bad above 5800 rpm or so. Before that point it is a straight flat 236 ft-lb torque curve. There is an aftermarket company or two that already make chips for the car that will keep the boost up and even raise it a little bit. They raise the power up into the 260 HP range with about 280 ft-lbs of torque. Still very nice I might add.
The best stuff I read rated the stock block/crank assy good for 700 HP over in Europe.
There are also some tuner companies producing some fantastic looking examples of the S40. It is definitely a fine replacement for an SVT insofar as functionality and performance.

Or you can opt for the slightly bigger Mazdaspeed6 when it comes out with turbo 4 cyl and AWD along with the heavier curb weight.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I would just like to comment on how I like the fact that this board isn't limited to discussion about the Contour only. I've looked for forums that compare to this one for different cars, and I have found nothing. If I would've purchased a different car, who knows where my knowledge about car audio/video would be.

1999 SE White AVH-P6500DVD Infinity Reference 6500CS Pioneer 5x7s Punch 360a2 Punch 500a2 Adire Tempest in a custom sealed 3.4cuft box Modded Xbox Still need Midnight Cloth Headrests... and if somebody has fold down rear seats....
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah, I know what you mean! I own a highly modded tour and am pretty much a hard-core Ford Contour guy but I can still enjoy other cars or other subjects.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard