Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Rick I have talked to a lot of people about this situation and have done 8 rims so far , That�s why it took me so long to offer this Group Buy , I always want to make sure I can do something before I offer it . I was assured by many people that there aren�t any problems with doing rims. If there was I guess neither have I seen it, or was told by anyone. Maybe you can send me a PM so you can advise me more on this issue?

Check me out for awsome powder coating deals www.powdercoatingworld.com People shouldn't slam each other when posting, If you cant say something good to say then just hit the back arrow.
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Basically, outgassing turns a heat treated aluminum wheel into buttersoft aluminum that can bend or crack on the smallest of potholes. You can get by using a UV cure lamp and some low cure temp powders.

What you want to avoid is any oven cure temp that heats the wheel all the way through at a temp high enough to change the metal structure (different temps for forged vs. billet).

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
darn i wish i had some extra money right now, i wanna have the insides of my st-200 spokes done:(

2002 Cougar 2.5 duratec/ mtx-75 85,0000 Mondeo ST-200 wheels/BFG KDW NT black/black Spec Stage 1 Torsen T-2 Trubendz 2.5 flowmaster dual exaust apexi s-afc II K&N FIPK
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Are the people who are interested reading the warnings and doing some research?

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hey Josh:

I don't know why anyone is jumping on you about rims. I have done a ton of rims in all sorts of substrates... including alum & alloy's. The curing temps of 400F will not cause any damage to the rims.
Outgassing is another issue.
I outgass casted items only. To outgass, I prebake the casted item about 25F - 50F degrees higher & 20 minutes longer than the recomended cure schedule of the powder I am using. I do warn my customers that "Although I prebake to prevent & limit outgassing. It is not always 100% effective. And that I cannot be held responsible for additional outgassing"
So powder away!
Good Luck
Bob

Check me out for awsome powder coating deals www.powdercoatingworld.com People shouldn't slam each other when posting, If you cant say something good to say then just hit the back arrow.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Who is Bob and why is he an authority on this?

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
i would love to have mine done but i already painted mine plus you said no 2 tone

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
what about aftermarket wheels that come powdercoated from the manufacturer. how do they do it?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
I haven't seen too many wheels that are actually powdered from the factory, but the process of using UV curing or low temp curing powders would be my guess as neither one of those options heats the rim much.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I will add my uneducated .02 here.

I had my 93 SHO rims powdered coated in 00. I had 0 problems with the rims and they looked beautiful.

Quite a few fellow SHO guys have done the same, and its a big thing in the L community as well.

As with anything there are associated risks.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard