Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If you were just topping off the oil (say, .25 quart, maybe) then no, that wouldn't damage anything. Now if you added 4 quarts or so you may have a problem.

If it was all good, then went south and all you did was add oil and nose around some electrical connections, then I'd bank on something electrical failing: whether it be bad wires or a sensor that gave out coincidentally at the same time.

I'm still trying to figure out what it was you found near the battery that wasn't connected to anything.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by D Davis:

I'm still trying to figure out what it was you found near the battery that wasn't connected to anything.

No idea.. I don't have a Ford CD yet..lol

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Looks like a vacuum hose, but I can't find anywhere for it to go. No suction coming from it.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I added 10W-30, but its possible that there was another grade in the engine already. There was not sticker anwhere (I'll be changing my own oil from now on needless to say).

Would that ruin the solenoid?

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by NoDisplayName:
I added 10W-30, but its possible that there was another grade in the engine already. There was not sticker anwhere (I'll be changing my own oil from now on needless to say).

Would that ruin the solenoid?

Because it's a 99 you don't have an EGR. They replaced it with a VCT (variable cam timing) and this uses oil to retard or advance the cams.

You did use 30 weight oil and your car might be 5W-30. At least you used the the same weight oil. The kinematic viscosities are extremely close. Therefore, whether you use the 0W-30, 5W-30 or the 10W-30 is strictly a matter of choice. The W=Winter and 5W vs 10W would only change how things work in the winter, but once the engine warms up this should not be a problem.

Have the oil flushed.. Put the right oil in and clear the codes. If that does not work then have someone fix your VCT because they do go bad.

If it makes you feel any better I need to have my VCT fixed because of a P1381.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
My daughter just had the same problem with her 98 Zetec.
Got her oil changed and the car started running like sh**. Low idle and no power when she stepped on the gas.
She also had the same issues that you did when trying to start the car. It threw the same CEL, 1383. We thought it was the VCT selenoid but it turned out to be her timing belt/tensioner.
Check out the condition of the timing belt.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The very first problem I had to fix on my 98 Zetec was the tensioner pulley. Very common.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by LUCA:
My daughter just had the same problem with her 98 Zetec.
Got her oil changed and the car started running like sh**. Low idle and no power when she stepped on the gas.
She also had the same issues that you did when trying to start the car. It threw the same CEL, 1383. We thought it was the VCT selenoid but it turned out to be her timing belt/tensioner.
Check out the condition of the timing belt.

Any ideas if this would cause a P1381?

I've got over 100K and have yet to replace my belt. Dam. thjis is going to bite me in the ars one day.

Any idea how I can check this tensioner without removing any parts other than the belt cover?

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Yep, because the timing belt and tensioner were shot, that was the reason that she was getting CEL #1383.

Her car runs great now. She says it runs like a new car, the idle is nice and smooth.

Since you've got over 100,000, now might be a good time to have your belt/tensioner changed before it does bite you in the arse.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like this happens a lot after oil changes. I'm taking it in to get the VCT checked, timing belt, tensioner, or whatever else it needs.
This board rocks! Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard