Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Front's on a Mustang getting knock back?!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Not talking about me, r ya?

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
The short answer is NO.

Thanks.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Rara:

but seriously, just pointing out potential issues w/ fixed calipers; they aren't "perfect" is all I'm getting at.

And fwiw, under hard cornering, most any stock wheel bearing (unless it was way overdesigned to start with) will allow some knockback on a fixed caliper. I know I've seen a number of Mustangs that get the occasional extra travel after a corner from knockback.

Just to expand a bit.

Its true that fixed calipers are more sensitive to knuckle/bearing flex, making them more succeptable to knockback. However, that doesn't mean every fixed caliper will exhibit it. When a caliper is placed at either 3 or 9 o'clock positions, knockback due to deflection is rarely an issue. This is the problem with the mustangs, the caliper is located high on the knuckle (1~11 o'clock). When the horribly underdesigned knuckle and bearing of the mustang (SN95, not S197) loads up and bends, the caliper is sohigh on the disc, where the deflection is quite a bit.

Caliper knockback is simply a symptom of poor bearing and/or knuckle stiffness. Its not the caliper that is the problem...its the corner assembly. In addition, this can be compensated for by tuning the piston rollback/knockback characteristics of the outboard pistons differently from the inboard pistons.

Aside from knockback sensitivity, the only other issue facing fixed calipers is wheel packaging due to the outboard caliper half. Aside from that, it is simply a better design.

Cheers,
Todd

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
No arguments here Todd, your statements are spot on. And in discussing the knuckle and bearing stiffness of the Mustang, we must recall that the Contour knuckle and bearing designs aren't known for being overkill either . . .

All that said, I still vastly prefer a fixed caliper design whenever possible; for obvious reasons.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
On a side note - when I worked on the GMT-800 they had SICK knock-back so they moved the claipers from 12 o'clock tp 9 o'clock. That helped but were still getting some cos the pads were long and the shaft wasn't stiff enough to prevent rotor deflection, so GM being the cheap bastards they are CHAMFERED the pads Thus as you wore down the pads knockback would come back. Fuggin' stupid.

I fixed that on my H2 axle buy making the THICKEST 9.5" axle shaft you've ever seen

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard