Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I finally completed my replacement of the ABS motor and pump over the weekend. Basically, you have to remove the air intake, the master cylinder, the brake booster, move the AC line, move the fuel lines, take brake lines off, remove the bolts for the ABS motor/pump bracket, remove the post-bolts on the unit and wiggle it out.

Had to match the pump numbers with a salvage yard. Cost $165 (w/shipping) vs the $600 from Ford for just the part. Works like it did before there were any problems, and the ABS kicks in just dandy.

This corrected the front-right / left-rear brake lockup I was having.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg Litterick

Greg 1998 E0 T-Red #613
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Litrbox:
remove the air intake, the master cylinder, the brake booster, move the AC line, move the fuel lines, take brake lines off, remove the bolts for the ABS motor/pump bracket, remove the post-bolts on the unit and wiggle it out.

Hardly anything...

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
congrats! so how long did it take to complete the project?

L
OP Offline
L
The whole project took about 5 months, since I didn't have much time at first to work on it. New kid, work moving, 3 year-old, etc.

The re-install took about 2 hours, which included watching my 3 year-old.

The 3 most difficult items are getting the pump out of the bracket, putting the pump back into the bracket and re-installing the brake booster pinion through the bracket on the brake peddal.

The one thing that threw me for a loop for awhile is Haynes indicates that the Pressure Contor Valves are on the ABS pump/motor unit. That is NOT correct for the 98s and higher. The pump has the PCR's internal and cannot be replaced.

Greg

Greg 1998 E0 T-Red #613

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard