Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
My brother reportedly is getting 1-2 MPG on his Cougar after I cleaned his intakes and TB. Little added bonus to this.

better gas mileage is nice, but basically my svt is a toy that gets driven once maybe twice a week. so gas mileage isnt really a factor for me. It does suck paying $2.50 a gallon for 94 then watching the needle go down as i romp on the gas.
Power increase-that would be worth the job. but honestly if your car is running good now, cleaning the intake will net what? .3 horse??

99 SVT "nice" 14.67 @ 92.6 mph (street trim) FOR SALE contact KEVIN.BOX@CINGULAR.COM http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1592122
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
it's been said widely that cleaning out the manifolds, if they're really gunked up (as most of them are), yields a noticeable power increase. 0.3 horses insn't noticeable, I'd imagine carbon coated components might be robbing 3-4 ponies.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If it is badly restricted it can rob much more power than that. I think that 10% might be on the outer edge most of the time, but far more than that is possible with extreme cases being more like 30% or even more.

I remember a Pinto that I worked on that almost would not run due to carbon and sludge built up in the intake, and I remember a Ranger 2.3 fuel injected that was also about the same. Both ran reasonably well once the intakes were cleaned up. The Ranger had to have the intake manifold removed and hot tanked it was so bad. It was so restriced that you could not insert your finger into the open ports.

No, I have no idea as to how the owners abused them to cause such an extreme condition.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
if nothing else, ive noticed a good improvement in throttle response and idle smoothness. with poly roll resistors, the idle smoothness improvement was worth it in itself

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I for one really appreciate the effort some of the more knowledgeable CEGrs show to bring these types of things to the board. With a how to like that even I can perform the rebuild

THANKS

'00 CSVT Koni/B&G (New), SCA intake, 18 inch Falken Circuit Spec (gunmetal), CF hood, Headlights by Dan, Mirko, deleted front license plate/painted chrome ring. Headers/y pipe installed - TruBendz Borla system no Res and optimized TB. Getting there!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
excellent writeup. I'll admit that I attempted the rebuild blindly [I printed out the howto but without real world photos it was basically a pot-shot]. Its something like this that allows the less inclined to confidently accomplish this.

Thank you for actually labeling alot of these parts.

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
with poly roll resistors, the idle smoothness improvement was worth it in itself

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
On top of what's been said keeping the intake clean keeps codes away. The metal tube for the PCV and clog and throw codes and well as the area around where the TB connects. Those passages are essential to a clean running code free engine. Replacing the UIM/LIM gaskets is also good at least every 80k. They can become brittle and crack over time causing vac. leaks.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
one thing i do while i'm in there...(and i do a cleaning every two months)..is while i have the lim off i'll take a stiff brush to the head ports,esp the secondaries,and scrape off the carbon buildup,now using a shop vac(theres a attachment that fits perfectly in the head)i suck all of the carbon out,once this is done i take some seafoam or valvoline tb cleaner and spray done the heads again,again using the shop vac if i used alot of cleaner. makeing sure it evaporates or dries before i start it,or you'll throw misfire codes........imho cleaning the uim/lim/tb is only half the job,if the heads are clogged up the improved breathing of the intake isnt being fully realised...

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
[censored], you think you have it bad?

Try 3L's with 50%increase in airflow....and the fuel that sucks along with it.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard