Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#1266364 05/03/05 01:57 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
OK I just swapped a 2002 focus engine into my 96 mystique. The engine had 8k miles when installed and now has 9k miles. I already picked up a T3 turbo for $30 that needs a rebuild due to slight shaft play. I also picked up a good sized intercooler for $20 off of a dodge daytona that is in excellent shape and clean inside and out. First off the turbo I need new turbine shaft bearings and the turbine shaft seal and the dynamic compressor seal. These items are pictured in this kit http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item107.htm
do I need the other items in the kit as well besides the O-rings. I don't believe the two rubber o-rings move so I could even use gasket maker, but I am not going to!!! This turbo is internally balanced so no balancing is required when done.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1266365 05/03/05 02:30 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Good luck and don't blow it up like the last engine.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#1266366 05/03/05 03:59 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Dang $30!?! Awesome deal. I'm looking at getting a rebuilt T3 Super60 for $420 (with internal wastegate).

If I were you, I would get all of the rebuild parts. Heck, even if you spend $300 on parts, you have still spent 1/2 as much as a new one.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
#1266367 05/03/05 06:37 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Well I have half dissasembled the turbo and cleaned up the aluminum housings. There is shaft play but no oil appears to have leaked yet, but it definately needs the rebuild. The turbo does have an internal wastegate. A friend of mine is giving me his recirc valve from his 2nd gen eclipse, I know they aren't very good but it work good below 8psi and its free. Lots of little things to do and buy. For the oil return I thought of an interesting idea. We all know how hard it is to remove our oil pans. So what if I Y-piped the dip stick instead. Its in the right area and would be really simple to do. This would maintain dip stick accuracy/useability and save a lot of time and effort installing a fitting into the oil pan. As far a rebuilding the turbo when I turboed my neon I was able to buy a new turbo center section for $100 on ebay. O2 sensors won't be an issue as there are two sensor bungs on the exhaust housing of the turbo. Along with the turbo I got two silicone couplers and several hose clamps plus oil drain tube intake aluminum elbow ect. I am going to use hard brake line for the oil supply but I need help finding a good spot to supply the turbo with oil. Any ideas? I also need suggestions for mounting the intercooler. I will try to post pics as I can.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1266368 05/03/05 07:30 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
OK I have two of the seals on the way now for the bearings. Got the seals for $31

#1266369 05/03/05 12:52 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I found this pic on one of the Focus boards...

Pretty darn perfect, eh?

I checked my '96 Zetec block and the oil feed location is there. It just has a plug in it with a torx top.

The best thing is you may be able to find a braided Focus hose pretty cheap.

HTH,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
#1266370 05/03/05 02:49 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Thankyou very much that is exactly the pic I was looking for

#1266371 05/03/05 09:39 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Cool, glad I could help. So how are you going to tune your system? I'm probably going to go and get the SCT Pro Race setup. It's pricey but it looks like the only way to go. (Unless you have a friend with a dyno.)

Now that I look at that pic again... Why didn't those guys just use some 1/2" spacers to get the coil pack bracket away from the block? It seems like hacking up the bracket is a sloppy way of doing things. Especially if you already have the EGR pipe removed from underneath it.

Good idea about the dip stick tube. How big is it at the bottom? I'd be worried if it's less than 1/2" I.D. I think that's the reccomended return size.

BTW, I can't help with intercooling mounting tips. I've got a Spearco 2-252 water to air unit.

BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 05/03/05 10:23 PM.

#1266372 05/04/05 12:06 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
We have a 5/8" return line. You don't want oil backing up into the system and I've had the dip stick tube pop out under boost, I wouldn't want oil returning there. Taking off the oil pan and welding a bung for the return line is universally considered best. You could buy a spare one cheap and do that to make the downtime less, that's what my dad did.

That pic is good, you can also use a T at the oil pressure sensor. There's also a sunken hex bolt/thing near the oil filter that would give you oil.

My dad just made his own Focus turbo kit, he also used the stock manifold, but he bolted the adapter not welded it. That way if the manifold ever cracks, you can swap out a new one easy. Though, as long as you add a brace to compensate for the extra weight of the turbo, the stock unit is pretty sturdy. Also flows decently, one guy hit 300whp with 14psi, 65shot and race gas, with the stock manifold.

You'll find the crank position sensor will be in the way a bit with an internal wastegate. We made a small flange to re-mount the wastegate away a bit for our first kit, then my dad figured out all you need to do is make a new plug for the wires so it's slimmer and it will work.

I wrote a turbo FAQ for my Cougar boards a while back. The info is a year old or so and some new things have come up, but mainly it's all you need ot know. The boards reset a few months ago and all the FAQs were lost. I haven't had a chance to rebuild it, but google has the pages in it's cache.

Page 1

Page 2

Some info that's a bit outdated: Pro-M is out of business I believe. TurboTom now recommends blow-through mafs, not suck thru like he used to. So get either a Musgang GT MAF or Cobra, a Lightning would be a bit too big. A few Foci have hit 300whp on 91-93 octane. The JRSC fits our engines with mild mods, the Vortech won't.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
#1266373 05/04/05 02:29 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I was wondering where the heck your FAQ went.

Now you've got me wondering... Why blow-through MAF?

I also find it VERY interesting that you gain more than 50HP with only a 35 shot of NOX. That is very cool. (no pun intended)

96mercury, I swear I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I just can't help myself. This is just all so exciting.

Later,
Ben

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard