Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1260318 04/28/05 12:45 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I have read quite a bit about this on other platforms, but I trust you four on this platform as gospel truth. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to get some driving time in on several different cars: Miata, Cooper S, Integra Type-R, Impreza 2.5RS, and a few others. After that, if I can't pull myself away from the contour for a more traditional (and cheaper/easier/faster) racer, I'm picking up a new DD (SVT, I think), and the modding begins. Yeah, I plan on racing a regular car and DDing the SVT: they are way too nice to tear up. I'd feel bad pulling out nice leather rear seats, wouldn't you?

eh, oh well. No matter what car I decide to dedicate to track use, I'll probably do the same thing I do every damn time I get some mod money and time together: go spend it on track time, because that, so far, has been way better at making me go fast. I keep thinking about tuning and tweaking, and then realize I need to tighten the nut behind the wheel. Anyway, thanks for all the input. I went for a street drive and really tested the brakes to the limits. My driving was indeed 99% of the problem when a corner wasn't perfect. But quite a few were damned perfect... I'm still grinning - even at 7/10th at legal speeds, there are some corners that are fun as hell, and that's why I'm in this game.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1260319 04/28/05 04:41 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I really don't want to perpetuate this thread, but I think I missed something. IIRC, there is no proportioning valve on our cars. If your car has EBD (electronic brake force distribution), the proportioning is handled by a computer, usually the ABS module. If it doesn't have EBD, it would have pressure reducing valves, usually near the rear wheels. The pressure reducing valves are used instead of a proportioning valve.

If you plan on driving the car while you are experimenting with the brake bias, please let me know where so I can stay far away.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1260320 04/28/05 03:04 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
hmm, I found everything I ever wanted to know searching corner-carvers. I don't know how they slipped my mind when I was thinking about this. I need to re-read Puhn now: information overload!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1260321 04/28/05 05:33 PM
I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
These highly opinionated, well informed discussions are so much more fun to read than some of the crap that' been on this site lately. regardless of who's right or wrong in this case, keep it up.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard