Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Ray:

Either way.. it is as I stated, and now you have the guy I was referring to in here.. so see for yourself... it sucks... don't waste your time, or effort, and if you do, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Ray

Thanks Ray and LilStrypedrocket. My problem is time, I don't have the time to completely rip the manifolds apart. I have 2 young kids, a full-time + job, a wife that works from home... and I have to make time to do the little bit of maintenance I am figuring out right now. I changed my oil a few weeks ago at 9:30pm in the rain; that was when I had time. I was out until 11:30pm Friday night finishing up my tranny fluid change and fuel filter.

Then the experience level comes into play...

I have excuses, lots of them. That is why I'm looking for the quick, easy way right now. I have looked at that step-by-step "How-to" for the complete break-down and clean, and it looks pretty good. Lots of terms to know and parts/ gaskets etc. to obtain. But looks like maybe even I could do it. That will have to be my goal for the summer.

Thanks again.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Hey man, if you need ANY help, feel free to PM me, I'll give ya my cell and you can call me when you need help. As for parts, there aren;t many. 4 gaskets total, thats all. I have all the part numbers ready and available and can be bought at either the ford dealership or any large parts store. Total for all the gaskets was less than 40 bucks. You do not HAVE to pull the LIM off to clean it. I did... jsut becuase I had time. You can get the LIM clean using the valvoline brand throttle body cleaner and a plastic bristle tooth brush and wiping the plates and walls with a cottom rag (don't use paper towles or shop towels becuase fibres come off of those). You do not have to worry about the gunk and fluid that goes down becuase most of it will evaporate or burn up within 5-10 seconds of running.

Tools needed:

about 4-5 diffrent deep sockets (MM)
Ratchet
Flat Head screw driver
Tourque wrench (about $10.00 from an auto parts store)
3 cans of Valvoline Carb Cleaner
2-3 cans of Berrymans b-12 to clean the UIM out
a toothbrush sized brass bristle brush
Roll of cheapy shop towels
Gaskets
A pizza and a few drinks

I know it seems scary to do this.. but trust me and Ray and eveyrone else that has done this... it's VERY easy. Truthfully, the ONLY thing you could really screw up on is either over torquing the UIM bolts, letting a screw or soemthign fall down the passage way, or not tightening down the bolts properly-- and these are VERY difficult to mess up, I might add. All of this is explained very well in Ray's how to. I know I said it took 7 hours... but realisticly, someone could do this in about 2-3 hours. I spent 1.5 hours looking for a junkyard to get a UIM bolt that I over-torqued like a moron .

So, this summer, give your wife 20 bucks and tell her to take the kids for an afternoon and get your hands dirty. You have CEG and myself here to help you, if you need to speak directly, PM me and I'll give you my number and I'll coach you through it, lol.

Also, here are pics from my cleaning... you can see how nasty this was.. 2 weeks after sucking the b-12 down. Cleaned up UIM/LIM

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by LilStrypedRocket:
Hey man, if you need ANY help, feel free to PM me, I'll give ya my cell and you can call me when you need help. As for parts, there aren;t many. 4 gaskets total, thats all. I have all the part numbers ready and available and can be bought at either the ford dealership or any large parts store. Total for all the gaskets was less than 40 bucks. You do not HAVE to pull the LIM off to clean it. I did... jsut becuase I had time. You can get the LIM clean using the valvoline brand throttle body cleaner and a plastic bristle tooth brush and wiping the plates and walls with a cottom rag (don't use paper towles or shop towels becuase fibres come off of those). You do not have to worry about the gunk and fluid that goes down becuase most of it will evaporate or burn up within 5-10 seconds of running.

Tools needed:

about 4-5 diffrent deep sockets (MM)
Ratchet
Flat Head screw driver
Tourque wrench (about $10.00 from an auto parts store)
3 cans of Valvoline Carb Cleaner
2-3 cans of Berrymans b-12 to clean the UIM out
a toothbrush sized brass bristle brush
Roll of cheapy shop towels
Gaskets
A pizza and a few drinks

I know it seems scary to do this.. but trust me and Ray and eveyrone else that has done this... it's VERY easy. Truthfully, the ONLY thing you could really screw up on is either over torquing the UIM bolts, letting a screw or soemthign fall down the passage way, or not tightening down the bolts properly-- and these are VERY difficult to mess up, I might add. All of this is explained very well in Ray's how to. I know I said it took 7 hours... but realisticly, someone could do this in about 2-3 hours. I spent 1.5 hours looking for a junkyard to get a UIM bolt that I over-torqued like a moron .

So, this summer, give your wife 20 bucks and tell her to take the kids for an afternoon and get your hands dirty. You have CEG and myself here to help you, if you need to speak directly, PM me and I'll give you my number and I'll coach you through it, lol.

Also, here are pics from my cleaning... you can see how nasty this was.. 2 weeks after sucking the b-12 down. Cleaned up UIM/LIM

Gotta love CEG ! Thanks Stryped, I may take you up on that offer in the Summer. THANKS ! ! !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome!

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
yeah it appears that the contour manifolds have a tendancy to build up the carbon worse than alot of other cars...removing and cleaning is probably the best way on a tour....i know in the case of my mustang that sucking it through helped tremendously...but than i don't think that the mustang manifolds have the tendancy to build up as badly as the tour...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Man. All this stuff about pulling the intakes off... sounds really cool. The kind of work that leaves your fingernails dirty for days, and you get to explain why using terms that impress non-car-oriented folk.

Anyway.

My question to the SVT gurus that dispense their wisdom is: where can I find the gaskets I need to replace when doing this job? Can I just go to Autozone and hope they have the kit in stock? Or is this something best left to Ford parts dealers?

How much can I expect to pay?

If I ever get the time to actually do this, I'll post pictures! My other hobby happens to be photography, and if I'm going to do a multi-hundred dollar job myself, I want to have proof that I did it.

Stealth is best. Make it look stock. Confuse people. Bother people. --'00 Contour SVT in dashing Silver Frost. Completely stock. Gonna do some minor tinkering. Ultimate goal? True dual! Now... Just need lots of money...
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Dealership...depends on what you want to replace. For example, I didn't replace my tb nor IAC gaskets when I did it. I believe it's anywhere from 50-70 for the gaskets.

50-70 for gaskets plus 6-10 cans of carb cleaner (2 dolalrs each) so just shy of about a hundred bucks. It's definitely not a 'multi-hundred dollar job.' W/o the gaskets and 6 cans of cleaner all on sale, I finished the job for about $35. Hence, it varies.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Also, give Steve a call at Tousley Ford. Steve's # in the FAQ-Duratec Maintenance I'm doing a BIG old rebuild on my car, so I'll be doing coolant flush, tranny flush, oil/filter change, and a complete UIM/LIM manifold rebuild this summer, but the parts for all of that came out to about $100. That includes all gaskets, manifold to fuel rail seals, o-rings, and spark plugs. Just give Steve a call, he'll know what you're looking for, specially since him and I walked through all the parts this morning. BTW, list price for all my parts was ~$170.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Awesome. Thanks guys!

Sooo... Tousley Ford and Steve can help me out? Simply because I'm a member of the CEG? Truly amazing. I'll give him a call straight away! I take it they'll simply box the stuff up and mail it to me?

Stealth is best. Make it look stock. Confuse people. Bother people. --'00 Contour SVT in dashing Silver Frost. Completely stock. Gonna do some minor tinkering. Ultimate goal? True dual! Now... Just need lots of money...
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yep, same as they would any other long distance customer. If he has all your parts in stock, chances are he'll ship it same day too.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard