Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1258781 04/27/05 01:36 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
But that's only because none of CEG is willing to pay you $60, unless it involves you staying the night in their room..

I'd probably do it for a GOOOOOOOD lunch... if they deserved it! lol

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1258782 04/27/05 03:05 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by csc99svt:
a guy that i used to work for, who owns his own shop now uses the seafoam stuff....i think i am gonna give this a try at 65k on my car....thats only next week....i just dont feel like tearing the top part of the engine down unless i know something else cant be done....

oh and i got quoted like 40-50 bucks or something for the seafoam cleaning....not too bad if i must say so...

hey man i just asked if anyone here has tried seafoam in another thread...it is all the rage on the mustang forums...i am probably going to try it this weekend...

you can do it yourself...just let a vaccum line suck in about a third of the can until it stalls it out,let it sit for a few mins.,then start it up and drive it around and watch the smoke show....and pour the rest in your gas tank anfd your golden...

but if he's going to pull apart your uim and clean it off the car i'd say $50 is a good price...

i'll pm you after i do my stang and let you know how it worked...so hows married life treating ya man??????

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
#1258783 04/27/05 03:25 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
DO NOT let it suck it in until it stalls. I've done this procedure on my DSM enough to know not to do that. You need to run your engine at about 2500 to 3000 RPM, let the vacuum line sit in the can until it's gone. Modulate the RPM so that it doesn't die, but don't redline it either. You WILL get a large cloud out of it, but that's normal. After the can empties, turn the car off. Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes and then start it up and run the piss out of it until it stops smoking. It's also HIGHLY recommended that you change your oil and spark plugs afterwords. It made a world of difference on my DSM, my Mirage, and my Contour (before I sold it).

92 Talon TSi AWD DSM= Daily Scheduled Maintenence
#1258784 04/27/05 04:54 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by Jason732:
DO NOT let it suck it in until it stalls. I've done this procedure on my DSM enough to know not to do that. You need to run your engine at about 2500 to 3000 RPM, let the vacuum line sit in the can until it's gone. Modulate the RPM so that it doesn't die, but don't redline it either. You WILL get a large cloud out of it, but that's normal. After the can empties, turn the car off. Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes and then start it up and run the piss out of it until it stops smoking. It's also HIGHLY recommended that you change your oil and spark plugs afterwords. It made a world of difference on my DSM, my Mirage, and my Contour (before I sold it).

btw i didn't mean let it die immediately...you will have to give it enough throttle to keep it running long enough for it to suck in the 1/3 or half of the can,but after that it doesn't matter if you let it die or shut it off yourself,what's the difference?????it has to be shut off one way or another...

and actually changing your plugs is totally unnecessary.....what would be the point????????????????really oil doesn't have to be changed either for that matter(but it wouldn't hurt)..but plugs are totally unnecessary...the carbon that is being cleaned out is being burnt off hence the smoke...the smoke is the carbon being cleaned out...and if you add it to the oil then yes you should change it,but if not i wouldn't bother unless it was close to time for a change...

i am telling you this because i have done alot of research on this on the mustang boards....i've read probably over 100 cases of this being done and the plug changing afterward is totally unnecessary,and that comes from a few guys who bulid engines for a living,and know their stuff... and one guy who is a gm mechanic,who's shop does this on a daily basis apparently caddies and other gm's seem to get a premature bad carbon buildup....there is a very long thread on stangnet about this topic,and ALL of the guys in the know deemed it unnecessary to change plugs....

#1258785 04/27/05 06:12 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
First off, I want to say sorry for getting so completely off topic in this post...

Secondly, I respect your opinion and I don't have a problem with anything you put in your post. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Let me give the reasons for what I said.

Originally posted by Jason732:
It's also HIGHLY recommended that you change your oil and spark plugs afterwords.

Note the part in bold above...

Originally posted by chrisilversvt:

btw i didn't mean let it die immediately...you will have to give it enough throttle to keep it running long enough for it to suck in the 1/3 or half of the can,but after that it doesn't matter if you let it die or shut it off yourself,what's the difference?????it has to be shut off one way or another...

The potential (be it slight) for hydrolock is there. If you want to take the risk, have at it.

and actually changing your plugs is totally unnecessary.....what would be the point????????????????

Because this procedure with seafoam *can* (and has, many times, on many vehicles) foul your plugs. Again, the risk is yours to take.

...really oil doesn't have to be changed either for that matter...

Contaminated oil does not retain it's lubricating properties very long. If you have blowby, or if your valve seals/guides leak, then you run the risk of contaminating your oil. Once more, your choice on the risk factor.

i am telling you this because i have done alot of research on this on the mustang boards....

That's cool and it's the responsible thing to do before you do it to your own car, but have you ever done it yourself and experienced any problems with it?

ALL of the guys in the know deemed it unnecessary to change plugs....

I do this procedure on 2 different vehicles, once every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. I am a guy in the know, and I don't deem it necessary, but I do HIGHLY recommend it, because I usually wind up with at least one fouled spark plug.

All I'm saying is that in my experience, I highly recommend that you change your oil and your spark plugs after running seafoam through your intake, because of the experience I've had with it.

It's all about how you want to treat your car. I like to have mine running great as much as possible, and I don't like to take chances, that's all...

#1258786 04/27/05 01:26 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
its cool man i was just trying to let people know it may not be necessary is all....i doubt people on here will do it that way anyway....most on here generally remove their uim/lim and clean them by hand anyway...i just didn't want to scare anybody away from doing it this way,because they don't want to have to do extra work..

btw i'll probably do mine in the next week or so and i'm not changing plugs afterward,i'll let you know the results...and don't worry about getting off topic on ceg,actuallty this is still on topic compared to most threads on here

#1258787 04/27/05 11:41 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
It is a great alternative to tearing out your intake manifold. My brother did it on his Explorer (with the 5 liter in it at 156,000 miles) and he said it was like driving a new car. Come to think of it, he didn't have any fouled plugs either, lucky bastage...

#1258788 04/28/05 03:36 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
maybe it works differently for different engines i don't know,it sux that it fouled out the plugs on your car.....my mileage isn't quite that high but it is over 100k...i am hoping to regain some lost power and a little bit of smoothness...we'll see hopefully i'll have time to do it this weekend..

#1258789 05/03/05 03:33 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
i did the seafoam yesterday...all i can say is WOW!!!!!after all the praise i read about,i still figured it "might" help a little...boy was i ever surprised...it smoked quite a bit(guess i had alot of carbon built up)man but it felt like a whole new car the engine even sounded better,and pulls alot harder,and runs alot smoother...i would highly reccomend trying it to anyone...

#1258790 05/09/05 09:15 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Is this "seafoam" product available at regular autoparts stores?

I suppose after 150,000 miles it might be a good thing to try, especially with an "On-Track" event coming up in a couple weeks.

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard