Next Thread
Print Thread
#1257324 04/25/05 12:42 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have a couple of wires hanging down from the firewall side of the engine, near the Y pipe. They are dragging, and have worn down considerably. The weird thing is, they are two MALE connectors. Both seem to have 4 posts in the connectors. I realize that it is tough without pictures, but does anyone have a rough idea what they could be?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1257325 04/25/05 02:46 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
The only thing that consistently tries to hang down on mine, in that spot, is an O2 sensor wiring harness plug.

It is a light blue cable (looks like CAT5 type..lol) with a mated connector hanging down at its lowest point.

Other than that, I don't know what it would be.. (with the whole "both male" thing, I am stumped..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1257326 04/25/05 03:57 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Ray:
The only thing that consistently tries to hang down on mine, in that spot, is an O2 sensor wiring harness plug.

It is a light blue cable (looks like CAT5 type..lol) with a mated connector hanging down at its lowest point.

Ray

OK, it looks like we have one of them.

Is the harness you described attached to the sensor itself, or does the sensor plug into this harness? Just hoping it's the less difficult (or expensive) of the two to work with....

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1257327 04/25/05 04:05 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Is it stands for me:

The sensor is about halfway up the engine, and has the wiring harness on the backside of the sensor (front side is in the exhaust, obviously...) the wire comes down the outside of thhe exhaust piping, and then goes lower than the car itself... it dangles at a low point with a (coupler, mating connector, something??) and then continues on back up again, and to the PCM...

at that low point is whatever it is hanging down.. looks like a pigtail coupler to me, but I never actually LOOKED at it.. just noticed..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1257328 05/24/05 06:17 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Well, I took a closer look at the wires hanging down, and they are in fact the male and female ends of the 02 sensor wiring. Both are damaged beyond repair (which is part of why they were so hard to identify), so I will have to come up with the appropriate connector, and a new 02 sensor for the rear bank of cylinders.

Short of popping one out of a wreck, is there any way to get my hands on the appropriate connector? Could I use round connectors put directly on the wires to recreate the connection?

If anyone has had experience jerry-rigging somthing like this, it would sure be appreciated.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard