Next Thread
Print Thread
#1256982 04/25/05 12:43 AM
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Well ive been fighting with a CEL that goes away and comes back all the time. Sometimes when i reset the comp it will go away for about a week then it comes back on till i reset it again. Or the odd time it will just go away itself, but that doesnt happen anymore. Im curious because i bought a new EGR valve hopeing it would fix this problem, but it hasnt. Is there something else it could be? Im getting tired of seeing the CEL on the car. I heard someone say that i need to clean the egr passages, but im not sure what passages they mean. Just a few days ago i did the UIM and LIM intake cleaning thing with the vaccuum lines but the light is still on. Please help

1997 Mercury Mystique -Tinted, Debadged, and no more door ding guards -Dual Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers -Gutted Precats -SVT rear sway bar w/ES bushings
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
remove the tb and you will see the passages. when those get clogged up you get a P0401

has nothing to do with the egr valve

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Try what Brapple said and if it still doesn't go away, change the DPFE sensor....I had the same issue until I changed BOTH!

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
cnsidering it goes on and off periodicaly even though it sounds stupid i would just make sure u have a good sensor and a good connection to the sensor. ive known guys who have done a ton of work a car just to find out if they had made sure the sensor and wiring was clipped together completely they would have saved them selves alot of time

R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Where do i find this sensor? I took the throttle body off last year when i got the car and cleaned in there and i though i got most of the crap out of there. But ya maybe ill take a look at the DPFE sensor and maybe just replace it. But im not sure what im looking for. If anyone has a pic where they can circle it that would be great.

1997 Mercury Mystique -Tinted, Debadged, and no more door ding guards -Dual Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers -Gutted Precats -SVT rear sway bar w/ES bushings
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Yeah I had to do the EGR passage cleaning. give me a few minutes and I'll fine the pictures. There are somewhere on my site.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
This is the view down the TB

This is what is behind the TB and The TB gasket.

You'll need to take off your intake, the TB, and the TB gasket. You'll also need a pick set, a new TB gasket, and a gun barrel cleaner(???) probably wrong name for it. They look like a copper pipe cleaner. I think it took me around an 1-2 hours. Mainly because I had no clue what I was doing. lol And I really hadn't done anything else to my car at that point.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The DPFE sensor is 'under' the EGR valve. It has (IIRC) two rubber hoses going to the bottom of it and 2 or 4 screws (can't remember) mounting it toe the UIM (IIRC).

And a quick Yahoo Images search with "DPFE"..

Ryan Trollin!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard