Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Ray:
Look under Duratec Maintenance, under "Ray's how-tos" for a step by step, with pictures on removing the knuckle..

EASILY done, and then only costs about $40 for the new bearing.

Alternatively, an entirely new knuckle, with the bearing pressed in ALREADY (simply remove the old and install the new) is 160.00 SHIPPED through Tousley Ford. Ask for number, or search it out.

Ray

Ray,
Thanks for that. I had seen your How-to, which looks great. Unfortunately I think that doing it myself is over my head for right now !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
if you can read, you can do this..

all tools are listed, and everything you DON'T have can be BORROWED from Autozone (small deposit on a credit card, or cash)

Good time to get your feet wet, as this is a repair that you can't "ruin", botch, or fumble. nothing huge that can go wrong..

Take a dive, and see what happens.. you will be happy with the results.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

all tools are listed, and everything you DON'T have can be BORROWED from Autozone (small deposit on a credit card, or cash)

Good time to get your feet wet, as this is a repair that you can't "ruin", botch, or fumble. nothing huge that can go wrong..

Ray

Ray,
I will see, I'll look at the directions again see if it is do-able. Where do you get the bearing from? Ford? ebay?
How do I diagnose which side needs to be done? The noise is when you turn left. I have seen some say that means a left/drivers side bearing is bad, I have seen some say that means the passengers side is bad (the weight transfers to the right side of the car when turning left...)
Thanks for the faith, but you don't know me. If there is a way to mess something up, I'll find it. I really am a newbie as I am only now learning about changing fluids.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
Belle Tire did mine for $180. Took them 2 days(???) though, they ended up sending the hub out to get the bearing pressed out and a new one pressed in then re-installing it. I figured they would have the right tools, if I had known they were going to have to send it out anyway (and it was going to take 2 days) I would've done it myself.

96 Ford Contour SE MTX, SVT exhaust, KKM intake, SP Motorsports slotted rotors, KVR pads, SP5000s -Stereo sucks
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Just had mine done by a local shop for about $100 total, and the part was $50..FWIW, this mechanic had the labor marked as a 1.5 hour job according to Ford.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Ray

How do I diagnose which side needs to be done? The noise is when I turn left. I have seen some say that means a left/drivers side bearing is bad, I have seen some say that means the passengers side is bad (the weight transfers to the right side of the car when turning left...)

Never mind- I just read on a little further in Ray's "How-to" and saw Ray's explanation of how to know which is bad.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
cool.. Yeah.. for reference (and future searches) a bad bearing is usually indicated by a whirring sound that will manifest itself on an OPPOSITE turn (left turn makes it whirr, means that the right bearing is bad)

before going at it, and replacing it, though, when you jack up the "bad" side, see if you can grab the hub and wiggle it at ALL. if you have ANY movement (while the large axle nut is still on) then it is bad) You can also simple move the tire/hub combo without loosening ANY lug nuts...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Ed98.5SVT:
The dealer replaced mine for $165.00.

Really? What dealership is that? Where part of NH is it in?

AutoFair in Manchester, NH

Thanks. If I can get a price like that then it would be worth the 80 or so mile drive.

THANKS !

AutoFair quoted me $315 for one or $595 for two.
Ford Dealer quoted about $300.
Sears about the same.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E

Thanks. If I can get a price like that then it would be worth the 80 or so mile drive.

THANKS !

Sears about the same.

Strange. I just double checked my receipt. Must be I am a preferred customer.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

THANKS !

Sears about the same.

Strange. I just double checked my receipt. Must be I am a preferred customer.

Thanks for checking. How do you get on the "Preferred" list? Lol

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard