Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Well, got 2 different quotes for near $3000 for a new tranny, labor, yadda yadda..... Talked to a couple people whose wives work with my wife, and decided to try changing out the tranny fluid before going any farther.

So, I did the "4 & dump" method with limited improvement. But there is improvement. Did this until the fluid coming out looked like what was going in. Reverse still works like a champ, and drive will make the car creep very slowly down the road.

Now, my question is this...would putting a new valve body in make the difference or would I just be wasting money and time? Also, is there a possibility that one of the trans sensors could be adding to the problem? I can rebuild an engine with my eyes closed, but I have limited knowledge of transmissions.

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TOUR'ING; 04/18/05 04:11 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Before going any further answer a few questions first:

1) How many miles are on the car?
2) Other than your recent attempt to flush the tranny, when was the fluid last changed?

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
1. 152k
2. This is the first time I have changed the tranny fluid in it. (unsure before that)

We picked up the car used for a work runner for my wife. We got it with 135k on it, was a good deal for a $1000 (straight body and like new interior). When I checked the tranny fluid then, it looked brand new, so I changed the oil, filters, ect..

Last edited by TOUR'ING; 04/18/05 04:41 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
With that mileage, a new valvebody would only help for a little while if at all. Chance are that the forward/direct clutch pack is wore out ... I would highly advise a rebuild.

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
So I take it that even though "R" is fine, "D" can be out in these tranny's. Like I said, not alot of knowledge with tranny's, but I was in the understanding that if one went the other did as well.

Last edited by TOUR'ING; 04/18/05 05:03 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Think about it this way:

You put the car in D and it shifts a hell of a lot more than you put it in R. Logically, R gets a lot less wear and those clutch packs will last 10x longer. However, it's always shifting/downshifting 1-3/OD, so those clutch packs bet a lot of wear. So yes, it's definitely a symptom that your problem lies in 1 of 2 areas: sticking/worn out Valve Body bore OR worn out clutches. Regardless, with that many miles, a rebuild is due.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If you decide to have the tranny rebuilt, I could probably save you a $1,500. I recently rebuilt a CD4E and shipped it to a friend. Turns out that the 99 and 00 Cougar trannies are not swappable due to different VSS locations.

Here is my for sale thread on NECO: http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=119886

I just want you to know that my advice is in no way related to the fact that I have a CD4E for sale. In fact, I'm not the one selling it, the person who bought it from me is the one selling it. I just thought that I could point you the direction of saving a few bucks. I'm sure that anyone here can back up my advice ... the mileage on the trans is just too high to try and do a bandade fix like replacing the valvebody.

All you would need is a new pump shaft ($12), rebuilt Torque Converter ($199 from www.bulkpart.com), a trans cooler ($50-60 from www.bulkpart.com), fluids, a weekend. If you can pull the engine/tranny, you can replace it just as easily.

Last edited by fastcougar; 04/18/05 06:11 PM.
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
A family friend finally got back to me, and after some haggling, I'm getting a rebuilt trans with a 2 yr. warranty, his shop is doing all of the work, all for the low price of $1500. Granted thats still a nice chunk of change, but it beats the hell out of paying twice that much.

On a side note, that trans wouldn't have helped me, I have a 2.0L. But I do appreciate all of your help fastcougar, was just trying to to save myself some dough.

Thanks again.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Here is a link to the parts that I ordered from www.bulkpart.com: http://www.fastcougar.com/forsale/cd4e/partslist.htm

Add to that, the bearing kit & filter and you are set on the transmission end of things. Don't forget to get a newly rebuilt torque converter & cooler!

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard