Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Ra\/en Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I am sorry if something like this has been posted before. This problem just started a couple of weeks ago. My car runs great, and shifts smooth until I drive for about 45 minutes to an hour on the highway, about 65 mph. Then I will get into town when the car will be shifting alot and it seems to slip a lot, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. It makes a big jerk. Is this slipping? If it is, should I do a tranny flush? or do you recommend something else? The Mystique has about 90,000 miles on it now, and I don't think the tranny fluid has ever been flushed or changed, at least not since I've had it (40,000 miles.)

Again I am sorry if this has been posted before, but I didn't know how to search for this problem.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Nick

98 Black Mystique LS Duratec V6 2.5L ATX K&N air filter, cleaned EGR, new Autolite double platinum plugs, magnacore wires, rebuit Sonnax valved VB, TSS, TPS. Mobil 1 5W-30
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Nick-

I'm sure the gurus will chime in, however I'll give my two cents...

It does indeed sound like it is slipping. Your first bet would be to check the atx fluid. How does it look? It should look like a nice pinkish color, if it looking brownish, your fluid is bad. Also, take a whiff of the stick, if you have a strong metallic smell, this will further aid your prognosis.

Well, obviously since you haven't changed the fluid in 90k miles, it probably looks like crap. This is not a good thing. Your best bet would be to do the drain and fill method before getting a flush. Do it a few times and see if there is any improvement. After a while if the slipping stops, and you have completed a few intervals of the fill and drain method, you may go ahead and get a full system flush. However, I think when the tc starts slipping you have to take different measures, this is where one of the gurus will suggest your next course of action.

Good luck!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Trade it in now before it doesn't work and let the dealer deal with it.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Normally, if the torque convertor (TC) is slipping, the O/D Light will flash or at the very least your CEL will come on with a code of P1744... IIRC.

If you have no lights, then I would try the fluid change as recommended and go from there. If the problem persists, then it is for sure a over heating problem. If the problem gets better, then ride it a week and drian the fluid again. This will as much of the older fluid out and give you a better mix of new fluid. If then things continue well after this, then I suggest doing the drain and fill every second or third oil change.

If you have lights, as mentioned before, then you will have to take it to a shop so they can run the proper tests to find out the problem. It is most likely a sticking piston, in the vlave body, that controls cooler flow. This can be corrected by either a Trans Go CD4Ejr Shift Correction Kit or by simply replacing the valve body.

If you have to replace the valve body, I would suggest that you get one from www.axiom.com For more info on them, here is a recent post where you can read what I have to say about them.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Slipping is when the engine rpm races and the car goes nowhere.
The problem you describe is the transmission going into limp (failsafe, if you can call it that) mode. The ECU no longer controls shifting at this point. Line pressures are increased and this causes the hard shifting, the jerks while upshiting that you mention. Driving along like this too long will cause more problems. 4th gear will not engage and your torque converter clutches will slip, causing excessive heat buildup, frying the fluid and the rest of your transmission.
The CD4E transmission is very sensitive to maintenance, or the lack of... I suggest that you read the CD4E FAQ.
I recommend a transmission flush as a first step.
If this does not work, second step would be installation of a transmission cooler.
I highly recommend a rebuilt valve body using Sonnax valves and a TransGo CD4E jr shift kit. The only problem here is that this may accentuate other existing problems, such as a failing torque converter. If your transmission is not too far gone, the valve body upgrade will prevent more damage.

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Took so long to write this up the Unisys beat me to it

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
R
Ra\/en Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Well, I just got the P1744 CEL code. Came on earlier today. Also with it said, TC Clutch System Performance. I was wondering, I know Unisys said that this could be fixed by either a Trans Go CD4Ejr Shift Correction Kit or by simply replacing the valve body. But how do I know which one to do. Also would I have to replace the TC or will it still be fine? How long is it possible to drive like this, before something serious happens to the tranny?

Thanks.

98 Black Mystique LS Duratec V6 2.5L ATX K&N air filter, cleaned EGR, new Autolite double platinum plugs, magnacore wires, rebuit Sonnax valved VB, TSS, TPS. Mobil 1 5W-30
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Replacing the valve body should solve the problem, but it will eventualy return due to the poor design. The best bet is to use the Trans Go kit.
Trans Go kit can be installed without removing the transmission, so its worth a try.

The more you drive, the more damage is done. If fixed in time, you can prevent damage to the rest of the transmission. Its hard to say how much damage has been done until you install the Trans Go kit.

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
R
Ra\/en Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Should I get the TransGo kit from Axiom, or is there somewhere better to get it? I went the Axiom site and I couldn't figure out how to order a part from them? Do you have to call them? Also is there a how-to as to how to install this kit?

Thanks.

R
Ra\/en Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
One more thing, would it be smart to do both or will installing just the TransGo take care of the Valve too?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard